Doug Glanville Addresses Adam Jones Defense Comments

PressBoxOnline

Does anyone know of any comments from Jones about why he prefers to play shallow? I've heard him say that he "doesn't necessarily buy" all the positioning arguments, but there must be some reason why he chooses to stand where he does and not a bit deeper. 

10 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Does anyone know of any comments from Jones about why he prefers to play shallow? I've heard him say that he "doesn't necessarily buy" all the positioning arguments, but there must be some reason why he chooses to stand where he does and not a bit deeper. 

I'd assume he wants to take away those dying quail base hits and have a better chance at throwing out a runner when one something does drop in. Problem is that he's probably not quite as fast as he used to be (he was never really a burner in the first place), and that might force him to play a few steps deeper from now on.

It's a very good interview.    Bottom line, Jones is a plus defender on shallow balls and takes away singles and is possibly in a better position to throw out runners.    But he's below average on deep balls, and those turn into doubles and triples that convert more easily to runs.    Nothing really surprising about that.

Archived