TT: Thoughts on Tillman news, Juan Francisco and Yermin Mercedes

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Tillman is a major concern. If I'm Duquette, I would be talking to Oakland to see what it would take to get Sonny Gray. He's going to be moved. Just a question of when.

Time will tell of course, but the fact that Tillman keeps saying his shoulder is feeling good and strong and that the PRP was more precautionary, gives me a little hope that this is nothing more than a bump in the road. Both Britton and Bundy have had successful PRP injections, so there's that as well.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can tell you right now the answer is more than the O's have.

Isn't Sonny Gray in the same physical boat as Chris Tillman? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2641811-sonny-gray-injury-updates-on-athletics-pitchers-arm-and-return

Gray's Injury the Latest in a Long Season for Star Pitcher

This is a difficult blow for Gray, especially since his durability was a defining characteristic in the past two seasons. He pitched 200-plus innings in both 2014 and 2015, but this year has been a different story, as the 26-year-old spent time on the disabled list earlier in the season with a trapezius strain

... While he has never posted an ERA higher than 3.08 in a full season, he has struggled mightily in 2016.

Thus far, Gray has posted a 5-11 record with a 5.74 ERA while allowing a career-high 18 home runs.

... there's no rush to bring their ace back as they finish off a disappointing season. 

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Time will tell of course, but the fact that Tillman keeps saying his shoulder is feeling good and strong and that the PRP was more precautionary, gives me a little hope that this is nothing more than a bump in the road. Both Britton and Bundy have had successful PRP injections, so there's that as well.

I guess Britton's was somewhat successful, I'm not sure I'd say that about Bundy's.  Bundy had his in April 2013 after experiencing elbow soreness in spring training, and then had TJ surgery two months later without getting in a game.    Britton had his in March 2012 and threw 123 innings that year, half in the minors, and wasn't as effective as he'd been in 2011.   

55 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I keep hearing allusions to Mercedes off field issues. I have no idea what they are.  Is he a bad tipper? Is he involved in human trafficking?  Is he chronically late? Does he have a body count?

He's important enough to have a reputation, but not enough that folks feel inclined to remember the details, I guess.

21 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

He's important enough to have a reputation, but not enough that folks feel inclined to remember the details, I guess.

Or spread the details. Hopefully it is something he will mature out of. He has a golden opportunity to be in big league camp in front of Buck and his coaching staff. That's a great way to get a new reputation or cement your old one.

I followed Francisco when he was on the Braves.  He's a talented hitter, but... he's had terrible weight problems.  He's obviously useless if he comes to camp way overweight.  And he was a bad defensive 3Bman - obvy not helped by his excess weight.    

Archived