TT: Vidal Nuno becomes front runner for long reliever role

Tony-OH

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, weams said:

I hope he is at least as effective as T.J. McFarland was, when he was semi-bad. 

Well that's a low bar to get over. lol

I'd be interested to know why his slider was less effective last year and why he was available so cheaply. Make me wonder if people think he might not be 100%? Pure speculation on my part, but if he can regain that slider he had prior to last year, he should be good in that long reliever role.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So the Dodgers acquired Nuno by trading away a backup catcher?    I guess that makes Nuno about as valuable as Mark Trumbo was a year ago!    

Good point. Trumbo though was a significant salary dump while Nuno is due to be paid just over $1 million this year. I guess you could say this is a bit of a salary dump since Nuno was the odd man out on the 40-man roster crunch, but at the end of the day the point is valid that Nuno's value is a backup catcher/8th round low A relief pitcher around baseball. He certainly has the potential to do much better than his value, but at the end of the day, that's his current value.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Good point. Trumbo though was a significant salary dump while Nuno is due to be paid just over $1 million this year. I guess you could say this is a bit of a salary dump since Nuno was the odd man out on the 40-man roster crunch, but at the end of the day the point is valid that Nuno's value is of a backup catcher and 8th round low A relief pitcher around baseball. He certainly has the potential to do much better than his value, but at the end of the day, that's his current value.

Yeah, I was just joshing.    Trumbo was slated to make 7-8 times what Nuno is making.    I see Nuno as a left-handed, slightly worse version of Vance Worley, who we got off the waiver wire last year.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It's bizarre that Nuno has such a horrible record as a starting pitcher.    In 2014 he had a 4.29 ERA as a starter, but he went 2-12 and his teams went 7-21 when he started.   

His average run support in 2014 was 3.5, same as Gausman and Miley that year.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's bizarre that Nuno has such a horrible record as a starting pitcher.    In 2014 he had a 4.29 ERA as a starter, but he went 2-12 and his teams went 7-21 when he started.   

Maybe Kevin Gausman can teach him how to win.

Archived