Do the O's have 5 high ceiling prospects in camp?

wildcard

12 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I wouldn't be so down on your farm. Last year's draft was a good one. There's about 6 or 7 guys now, who depending on what they do this year, could end up sneaking onto top 100 lists. That group consists of Sisco,Sedlock,Mountcastle,Hayes,Jomar and Harvey.

And the teams with actually good farm systems have 12-14 guys who, depending on what they do this year, could end up sneaking onto top 100 lists.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

According to Santander, it was merely a bone spur, not a torn labrum.  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/early-notes-on-hardy-santander-travel-roster-and-wieters.html.   That's good news.    

Is it?

I thought the idea was to stash him on the 60 day to limit his exposure and stretch out his MLB service requirement over two seasons.

Is that a viable strategy for a bone spur?

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?

I thought the idea was to stash him on the 60 day to limit his exposure and stretch out his MLB service requirement over two seasons.

Is that a viable strategy for a bone spur?

Good news in that some players never fully recover from a torn labrum, e.g., former Orioles prospect Val Majewski.    Not necessarily good news viz. our strategy for retaining Santander.    But we'll see.

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This board undervalues strikeouts for pitchers, particularly guys in the minors.

Makes no sense.  It's the first thing I look at.  It's widely considered the most important thing for a minor leaguer to be able to translate to the bigs. 

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Ynoa struck out 4.5 per 9 in AAA and was sold for cash considerations.  What makes you think he has a high ceiling?  

He was throwing with his weaker arm to save wear and tear on the good one?

"...I know something you don't know.  And what is that?  I'm not left-handed."

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And yet it persists.

Look at Gunkel.

There is a non-zero chance that Gunkel could be the new Josh Towers.  700 innings of a 92 ERA+ spread over eight years might be useful in the right circumstances.  Just so long as the years you give up 17 homers in 60 innings come when the team's already 10 games up or 10 games out.

10 hours ago, POR said:

No it is not really amazing. at all.  Sisco is the only Oriole in most top 100 prospect list and he is typically in the bottom half.  There are 30 teams.  That means on average a team has 3 players in the top 100.

Ynoa may end up being a solid pitcher, but it would mean the Mets really screwed up giving him away for next to nothing.

Santander may end up being a solid player, but it would mean the the Indians really screwed up in not protecting him from the rule V draft.  The Orioles have been very active in the rule V draft under Duquette and the best player they have gotten out of it so far is Ryan Flaherty.

Liranzo may end up being a valuable addition to the bullpen, but saying someone who has thrown 18 inning above low A is knocking on the door seems to be a stretch. 

Mancini is going to be 25 years old in a few week.  His stats at Norfolk were not great and has no where to play with the Orioles unless Trumbo or Davis get hurt.  

The Orioles have some prospects so does every other team.  

Of course every other team has some prospects. Doesn't take away from the fact the Orioles have some nice young players. They don't all have to be blue chip prospects to contribute to a winning team.

15 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There is a non-zero chance that Gunkel could be the new Josh Towers.  700 innings of a 92 ERA+ spread over eight years might be useful in the right circumstances.  Just so long as the years you give up 17 homers in 60 innings come when the team's already 10 games up or 10 games out.

Towers walked 1.5 per nine and that is what Gunkel will have to do.

He also made $6.143 million in Major League salary in his career.  Nice work if you can get it

Archived