McFarland Released

wildcard

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I enjoy your posts but I am going to have to say some something you probably will not like.  You're spoiled.    From 1984 to 2011, a period of 28 years, the O's went to the playoffs 2 times. In 1996-1997.   Having gone through that I appreciate what Dan and Buck have done in the last 5 years.   3 playoff appearances in 5 years.  That feel pretty good to me.

I would love for the O's to win the World Series.  But there is only one of those winners a year.   It is rare when it happens.   They were close in 2014, but injuries and the Royals got in the way.  Maybe this year.  Who knows.

Actually I am spoiled.  I have been to every World Series the Os have ever been in.   I certainly would love to take my dad and my daughter and my granddaughter to another one before it gets too long in the journey. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's worked to a degree.   Assume that for the next two years we are contenders, and we make the playoffs once but don't make it to the World Series.    Assume that after that, we have a span of 5-7 straight years of being below .500 and rebuilding.   Would you be satisfied with that scenario?    Is your answer the same now as it would have been if the question had been asked in the spring of 2012 (modified to include the results of the five years that have now followed)?

I think it's a tough question.    If you'd asked me in 2012, I might have been desperate enough to see some winning baseball to take that deal.    Now, that tradeoff seems more dubious.    

Of course, we don't really know (1) if the O's will remain competitive the next two years, (2) whether they'll fall off dramatically after that, or (3) if so, how long a rebuild will take.     But I do think the scenario I painted is pretty plausible.

The thing that Dan and Buck do that I appreciate is that they put a team on the field most every years that has a decent chance of going to the WS.   If things break right they could make it.  If Chris Davis as a big year and Manny has a MVP year.  If Gausman, Bundy and Tillman have top of the rotation years.   If the bullpen is good again.    They give you a chance believe in them. 

I don't buy into the window.  The O's are 7th most valuable franchise when MASN is included.  They have the third most valuable regional sports network.   Their payroll is sneaking up on 170m.  They probably can afford  Manny.  Britton, Jimenez, Smith and Kim may go but their is a enough money to keep winning IMO.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't buy into the window.  The O's are 7th most valuable franchise when MASN is included.  They have the third most valuable regional sports network.   They payroll is sneaking up on 170m.  They probably can afford  Manny. 

How have those mega contracts worked for teams? I assume you would offer Manny 300+ million?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The thing that Dan and Buck do that I appreciate is that they put a team on the field most every years that has a decent chance of going to the WS.   If things break right they could make it.  If Chris Davis as a big year and Manny has a MVP year.  If Gausman, Bundy and Tillman have top of the rotation years.   If the bullpen is good again.    They give you a chance believe in them. 

I don't buy into the window.  The O's are 7th most valuable franchise when MASN is included.  They have the third most valuable regional sports network.   They payroll is sneaking up on 170m.  They probably can afford  Manny.  Britton, Jimenez, Smith and Kim may go but their is a enough money to keep winning IMO.

Plenty of money.  That is why Dan cut Miggy last year and why he has sold two draft picks.

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So, I guess he was out of options?  Or the Os just did not see him in the big league mix and didn't want to pay his contract dollars at Norfolk?  (like Miggy)

He is out of option.  The O's obligation to his salary has still not been defined.  We have to know what the new CBA says.

What seems clear is that the O's have added enough left-handed pitching that he was not needed any more.

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Actually I am spoiled.  I have been to every World Series the Os have ever been in.   I certainly would love to take my dad and my daughter and my granddaughter to another one before it gets too long in the journey. 

Nothing wrong with that.  I want to see that too.

5 minutes ago, weams said:

How have those mega contracts worked for teams? I assume you would offer Manny 300+ million?

I think he will get that.

ARod's first big contact worked out.   Most of the others were signed after the player was 30 years old.  And that does not work.  Manny will be 26.  If he O's are ok with his knees holding up then he is a good candidate for a long term contract.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I hope you are kidding.

Teams with "enough money" don't sell draft picks.  In fact only one team has sold a draft pick.

See you save money two ways when you sell a pick.  You get the money from selling the pick and you don't have to pay a draft pick a signing bonus.

The O's don't have "enough money" they are just spending what they have on folks like Davis, O'Day and Trumbo instead of spending it on draft picks.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Teams with "enough money" don't sell draft picks.  In fact only one team has sold a draft pick.

See you save money two ways when you sell a pick.  You get the money from selling the pick and you don't have to pay a draft pick a signing bonus.

The O's don't have "enough money" they are just spending what they have on folks like Davis, O'Day and Trumbo instead of spending it on draft picks.

They better never have to pay the Nationals. That's all I can say. 

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

According to the old CBA McFarland is entitled to 30 days termination pay or about 114K.  That is in addition to any minor league contract he negotiates.  I don't know if the new CBA changed that.

So he would get 114k plus whatever AAA contract he signs. What's the typical AAA contract?  I'd like to see Mac back but he'd essentially be like Andy Oliver last year since he has no options. 

Archived