Does Brett Lawrie make sense?

jamalshw

With the White Sox putting Lawrie on waviers, do the Orioles take a shot at signing him if he clears? He's struggled with health over his career and has been below average offensively the last couple years, but would he be an upgrade on this roster over Ryan Flaherty? He can plan 2B and 3B and Manny can shift to SS if Hardy goes down so the infield would be covered. He's been a bit better against LHP than RHP in his career, too, which is interesting should they want to put him at DH and play Trumbo in RF from time-to-time against righties. 

Of course, all of that said, he's be very limited in played time here and one would have to assume someone would give him a better chance to play more often and get back on track in his career (albeit not likely for a contender). 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a decent player when healthy and he's only 27. They probably cut him so they could save $3.5M and not pay a guy with questionable health (apparently he's still recovering from lats year's leg issues) who will probably be replaced by this season Moncada anyway.

I'm gonna guess he's not an O's fit because if he's healthy enough he can find more playing time elsewhere and if not then we wouldn't want him.  

1 minute ago, dan-O said:

Ew.

Robert Andino, if given a full season, would put up comparable numbers to Brett Lawrie. 

You're obviously exaggerating for effect here. Lawrie has had an OPS+ of 90 or more in all six of his years in the majors, and 101 for his career. Andino's career high is 84, and for his career it's 66. Lawrie blows Andino out of the water offensively.

Eh, I'm saying for the headache of a player that is Lawrie, you could have a guy like Andino, who would play better defense, be a better teammate, and probably hit 10 home runs to Lawrie's 12 last year. 

Andino would need about 1,000 at bats to hit 10 home runs this year. 

Point is, you're not losing a whole lot, because they're both bad offensive players. And Lawrie is a straight up clown to boot. 

I think you're underselling Lawrie's offense. He's basically league average by OPS+. He's not a great hitter by any means, but he won't kill you offensively. A full season of Andino would.

I'm with you on the concerns about Lawrie's clubhouse presence, though. He's not exactly known for having a great attitude.

4 minutes ago, dan-O said:

And what is Lawrie going to do on the bench for Buck Showalter? Sulk? Swing wildly when he finally gets his chance to pinch hit? He sucks. 

Andino and others like him already on the team, know what the deal is here. Play defense, sit on the bench for long stretches, and know your role. 

I get it, you don't like Lawrie.  He's a douche, I agree.  But he's a vastly superior player to Andino and he's better than Flaherty too. 

3 minutes ago, dan-O said:

And what is Lawrie going to do on the bench for Buck Showalter? Sulk? Swing wildly when he finally gets his chance to pinch hit? He sucks. 

Andino and others like him already on the team, know what the deal is here. Play defense, sit on the bench for long stretches, and know your role. 

The ammunition you're bringing here is best suited to another debate - that being, would Brett Lawrie fit in the O's clubhouse. In which you'd probably have a case.

In a vacuum, though, he's a significantly better baseball player than Robert Andino ever has been or ever will be.

As to the topic at hand...

I think Lawrie would absolutely be an asset on the bench. He brings versatility. His bat, while not extraordinary, is useful. The last two years, I thought he'd be one of those guys that got a change of scenery and finally blossomed... but it didn't happen. Doubt it will, now. But he's an asset.

That said, BECAUSE of his versatility, he should have no trouble finding a job where he'd have a chance for many more at bats than the O's can offer.

Lawrie is a head case who has a long injury history.  He's got talent, and is clear superior offensive to Flaherty (Andino?  Really?).  His bat would play, but I just can't get around the attitude issue and his history of injuries.  Pass, but it's not an easy call for me.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I get it, you don't like Lawrie.  He's a douche, I agree.

..,.and we can stop right there, because if Buck determines that Lawrie doesn't belong in the clubhouse, he's not going to be an Oriole no matter how much of an improvement he is.

But it's no guarantee he'd say "no".  He vetted Delmon Young and he ended up with 435 plate appearances with the Orioles.  And then this one of course:

49 minutes ago, esmd said:

Lawrie is a head case who has a long injury history.  He's got talent, and is clear superior offensive to Flaherty (Andino?  Really?).  His bat would play, but I just can't get around the attitude issue and his history of injuries.  Pass, but it's not an easy call for me.

I've always considered Lawrie kind of an obnoxious adversary, but has he had trouble with his teammates or managers?

The other question would be whether he could adjust to being in a utility role.    He's generally been a full-time player, when not injured.

Archived