WBC Here, If you like it.

weams

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Any chance Zach Britton can be in the bullpen for the last two games.

And Buck's not managing so no chance Zach doesn't get used.  :)

I was trying to come up with a way to say the same thing. xD

Although, I am glad he isn't there.  I would hate to see him get hurt.

7 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I'd probably keep Crawford over Bregman but other than that, I agree.

I actually forgot Murphy was on the team.  Really weird that him and Goldy haven't played much.

I'm willing to give Leyland some benefit of the doubt about bullpen decisions, since we don't know everything about everyone's various limitations. But his lineups have truly made no sense. Goldschmidt is significantly better than Hosmer by traditional stats, not just sabermetric stuff. You could argue that Goldschmidt is borderline top 10 player in the game while Hosmer is a borderline top 10 first baseman in the game. And yet another manager who thinks it's a good idea to bat Jones first or second, when you have guys like Yelich and Murphy on the team, who are ideal kind of hitters for that spot. But hey, I'm happy it's working so far!

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm willing to give Leyland some benefit of the doubt about bullpen decisions, since we don't know everything about everyone's various limitations. But his lineups have truly made no sense. Goldschmidt is significantly better than Hosmer by traditional stats, not just sabermetric stuff. You could argue that Goldschmidt is borderline top 10 player in the game while Hosmer is a borderline top 10 first baseman in the game. And yet another manager who thinks it's a good idea to bat Jones first or second, when you have guys like Yelich and Murphy on the team, who are ideal kind of hitters for that spot. But hey, I'm happy it's working so far!

He did explain his thinking in regards to Neshak.

I've been thinking about how extra innings work in the WBC and if it might cause for a change in traditional strategy.

The conventional thinking is you don't leave your best reliever on the bench late in the game or in extra innings.  Lots of folks, myself included, gave Buck grief for not pitching Britton in the playoffs last year.

However in the WBC (and maybe soon MLB) extra innings work a bit different.  Once the 11th rolls around teams start with two runners on base.

Run expectancy for 0 on 0 out is .481.

Run expectancy for runners on first and second and 0 out is 1.437.

The Netherlands had Kenley Jasen in the pen for that game.

He pitched in the ninth and did this:

Jansen is one of the absolute top tier relief arms out there and he was only available for one inning. (word is he called the Dodgers to see if they would let him pitch two).

Here is the question I asked myself today.

If you find yourself in a position that you know that a high leverage situation will be coming up in a potential 11th inning, might you be better off saving a top tier reliever for that situation?  Particularly when you know that your team is going to have the same advantage?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been thinking about how extra innings work in the WBC and if it might cause for a change in traditional strategy.

The conventional thinking is you don't leave your best reliever on the bench late in the game or in extra innings.  Lots of folks, myself included, gave Buck grief for not pitching Britton in the playoffs last year.

However in the WBC (and maybe soon MLB) extra innings work a bit different.  Once the 11th rolls around teams start with two runners on base.

Run expectancy for 0 on 0 out is .481.

Run expectancy for runners on first and second and 0 out is 1.437.

The Netherlands had Kenley Jasen in the pen for that game.

He pitched in the ninth and did this:

Jansen is one of the absolute top tier relief arms out there and he was only available for one inning. (word is he called the Dodgers to see if they would let him pitch two).

Here is the question I asked myself today.

If you find yourself in a position that you know that a high leverage situation will be coming up in a potential 11th inning, might you be better off saving a top tier reliever for that situation?  Particularly when you know that your team is going to have the same advantage?

Espeically in a thing like this where you have essentially an all star bullpen so there isn't that huge a dropoff to the guy you would use in the 9th and 10th.   I tend to agree with you.

Archived