Pedro back. (Will he opt out?)

oriolesacox

This signing makes no sense. This is like buying something at the store because it was on sale after you already bought the same thing earlier at full price.

Pedro doesn't fit in with the outfield. There are already issues with defense. Pedro doesn't fit in on the infield. There are already players and backups that can actually field. Pedro doesn't fit on the bench. There are already players that can swing a bat that the Orioles fans don't trust in the field.

Send Pedro to Norfolk with Mancini? Great, now you are cutting into both having at bats. Have Pedro work in the outfield in Norfolk? Oh boy, that should be fun to watch, with the winds and depth of the outfield.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This signing makes no sense. This is like buying something at the store because it was on sale after you already bought the same thing earlier at full price.

Pedro doesn't fit in with the outfield. There are already issues with defense. Pedro doesn't fit in on the infield. There are already players and backups that can actually field. Pedro doesn't fit on the bench. There are already players that can swing a bat that the Orioles fans don't trust in the field.

Send Pedro to Norfolk with Mancini? Great, now you are cutting into both having at bats. Have Pedro work in the outfield in Norfolk? Oh boy, that should be fun to watch, with the winds and depth of the outfield.

If they hadnt signed Trumbo and traded for Smith, of course this would have been a smart signing. Right now, its just adding to the logjam of no-glove players, But in Alvarez's defense, he is one of the better bats on the team. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

If they hadnt signed Trumbo and traded for Smith, of course this would have been a smart signing. Right now, its just adding to the logjam of no-glove players, But in Alvarez's defense, he is one of the better bats on the team. 

Oh, without a doubt, this would have been a great deal without Trumbo. Smith would have been a good move either way. Better defender and gets on base. But after the Trumbo signing, this one still...Confuses me.

I actually think this thing is worth a shot on a minor league deal. Pedro never had a problem catching popups or short fly balls. His problem at third was throwing errors (24 of his 25 in 2014). He was actually scouted at Vandy as having excellent defensive skills. So maybe he can catch fly balls and hit the cutoff man. If so, it will just depend on whether or not he has any instincts for it and giving him some experience. If not, the Orioles aren't out much. It's not like they're blocking any big prospects. 

2 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

I actually think this thing is worth a shot on a minor league deal. Pedro never had a problem catching popups or short fly balls. His problem at third was throwing errors (24 of his 25 in 2014). He was actually scouted at Vandy as having excellent defensive skills. So maybe he can catch fly balls and hit the cutoff man. If so, it will just depend on whether or not he has any instincts for it and giving him some experience. If not, the Orioles aren't out much. It's not like they're blocking any big prospects. 

He caught the yips.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

No such thing as a bad MiL deal.   It's crazy how the landscape has shifted away from power guys with little defensive skill.   

9 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I get he doesn't fit but how can anyone be upset about Pedro on a minor league deal? Win win!

I think Tavaraz and Santander deserve a shot. They both unquestionably have more range than Trumbo, Kim and now Alvarez in the OF.  Now it seems like a sure thing they wont be in Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

This makes absolutely no sense. It also makes the Trumbo deal look pretty bad in comparison, getting a 827 OPS DH for peanuts, while giving Trumbo $13M per year to do the same.  Are they platooning? 

I think this means Trumbo is the everyday RF not a DH.

Archived