Ongoing Lineup Thread, 2017

OFFNY

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And what does that have to do with anything?  He's also better than Smith, Rickard and Trumbo.  Doesn't mean he's actually good.

dan-O called him a plus defender, he isn't.

Somebody needs a snickers bar. On this team, he is a plus defender. Overall he is just decent.

5 hours ago, theobird said:

Somebody needs a snickers bar. On this team, he is a plus defender. Overall he is just decent.

Can you show us the numbers that proove this I can't find them. What I see the last few years is a sub par RF, CF. He's a slightly plus LF.

4 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

JJ hardy looks like he's 67 years old. 

That's because he is 67 years old.  We can win with him.  He's still rock solid defensively.  Look at our lineup.  We have a deep lineup.  Machado, Jones and Trumbo have the lowest OPS's of the starters.  We literally have a lineup of guys that have .800+ OPS's all around with a few slumping stars in the .700's.  

JJ Hardy isn't why we're losing games.  This will be his last year with the O's at that price.  Don't we have some insane W/L record with Hardy in the lineup since 2012?

Just watching this series.  Isglesias is the more flashy player, but JJ is more steady.  You never see JJ do anything that isn't fundamentally sound or the right play.   

Here's what I'd say about JJ:

1.   He has righted the ship defensively and is still an above average defensive SS.     But he's not as stellar defensively as he used to be, so his glove can't carry his bat as far.   

2.   His offense has been a disaster this year.    There is still time for him to bounce back, and I don't think we should assume he'll be sub-.600 OPS all year.     But the danger is plainly there.   

3.    I don't think we have a better alternative right now.    I still prefer Hardy to Flaherty or anyone we have in the minors.   

4.   I'm not at all worried that he'll get 600 PA and that his option will vest.   Won't happen.   

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's because he is 67 years old.  We can win with him.  He's still rock solid defensively.  Look at our lineup.  We have a deep lineup.  Machado, Jones and Trumbo have the lowest OPS's of the starters.  We literally have a lineup of guys that have .800+ OPS's all around with a few slumping stars in the .700's.  

JJ Hardy isn't why we're losing games.  This will be his last year with the O's at that price.  Don't we have some insane W/L record with Hardy in the lineup since 2012?

Just watching this series.  Isglesias is the more flashy player, but JJ is more steady.  You never see JJ do anything that isn't fundamentally sound or the right play.   

Do you honestly believe that?

I think he's had a full season worth of plays Hardy would have made five years ago and it's only May 18th.

17 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why is Castillo catching after a 13 inning came and one game back from the DL?  I get that he may be Ubaldo's personal C but come on.  I like Wellington, so why run him into the ground?

I don't get the lack of moves today.  Only Chricton is up.  I'm usually pretty optimistic but what is the pen tonight?  Ubaldo 1-5+, Chricton 5-7, Flaherty 8.  

Because he is healthy. That's my guess. It was a minor injury, from reports I have read.
He's the starting catcher. As such, he is supposed to be the catcher who gives the team the best chance to win.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you honestly believe that?

I think he's had a full season worth of plays Hardy would have made five years ago and it's only May 18th.

I do.  He makes Schoop and Machado better.  I'm not being Bordick-esque but you can tell he's a calming influence on them.  

Plus what are we going to do?  Put Manny at SS and Flaherty/? at 3rd.  For this season, I think that weakens two positions defensively.  SS and 3B .  With all the shifting that we do and is done in baseball, I think the current set up best suits Machado.  

We're going to have to address SS/3B in the offseason.  Unless there is an injury this year I don't know who you go out and replace Hardy with.  Empty the system for Todd "Mark Reynolds" Frazier?  

Archived