1. 1. Who starts in OF

• Gentry
    • Mancini

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, dan-O said:

The lights were on on Opening Day, so I'm not sure what they mean here. First night game, sure, but the lights had an effect on the field on OD. 

That is true, but the lights are BRUTAL!

At the Braves game last Friday, they had the same LED lights. If a ball is hit and goes into the lights...Good luck. With the old style, you could still track the ball a bit. With the LED's...Hope the ball is really high, cause it'll take quite a few blinks.

55 minutes ago, dan-O said:

The lights were on on Opening Day, so I'm not sure what they mean here. First night game, sure, but the lights had an effect on the field on OD. 

True, but this is the first game that they lights will be an absolute requirement. So I guess it makes sense?

I'm curious to see what the twinkling effect they pulled off when Britton entered and then again when Trumbo hit the walk-off looks like at the end of a full-fledged night game.

11 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Fair enough!

But to elaborate, I think Buck needs to figure out if Gentry's spring was just a flash in the pan or if he is truly healthy again and can contribute significantly to this club.  Historically, outside of the past 2 years, Gentry has proved himself against LHPs.  

50 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Freddie Freeman played total of 3 games in minors at 3B.  Hardly a trial.

Paul Goldschmidt play one game in the minor  in CF.  Hardly a  trial.

Anthony Rizzo has played on inning at 2B.  Last year.  Hardly a trial.

Adrian Gonzalez never played an inning anywhere but 1B in the minors;

Eric Hosmer never played anywhere but 1B in the minors.  Has has started 3 games in major in RF.  Hardly a trial.

Mark Teixiera only played first base in the minors.

It happens.  Sometimes that just where the team sees you playing.

Nice research, I repped you for it.    I'm still a bit surprised the O's had used Mancini only at 1B, if they thought he might be a decent corner OF.    And it remains to be seen whether he can be a  decent corner OF.

Mancini it is.   I'm going to the game tonight, so I'll report on what I see.    I saw Mancini's first two games in RF in spring training, and wasn't too impressed, but hopefully he's improved with more reps.

Just now, dan-O said:

I would love nothing more than for Trey to play well out there, hit an opposite field home run, and then the O's win due to a Gentry pinch run steal. Then I can officially retire from message board baseball because I will have won at it. 

:) 

Pinch run steal of home you mean right?  

9 minutes ago, dan-O said:

But seriously, if you understand how Buck rolls, and the construction of the roster, and the potentially limited time in which you can utilize Trey's power, this was always the obvious move. 

I still would have gone Gentry of Riccard due to Gentry being better in the OF and you have two wildcards in the LF and RF now.  Joey has shown that he misreads balls and doesnt get the best of jumps.  But whateves... I'm not a manager I just stayed a Holiday Inn Express last night.    

Just now, dan-O said:

Sure. My thing was always, what's guaranteed to happen today? This. This is what was guaranteed to happen. I had no doubt, and I'm not sure why anyone else did.

Was there any doubt that we were all expecting Britton to pitch in the WC game?  

Archived