Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

The rosters are expanded....and we have same old Buck. 

Here we have a starting pitcher who essentially has the Orioles with a 6 man rotation to manage his innings...and Buck is out there leaving him in there for 37 pitches in the 4th inning to get his pitch count over 90.

And then what does he do in the 5th? Trots him back out there.

WHY? It was clear Bundy didn't have it. He completely fell apart in the 4th. And while he had Castro warming up in the 4th...he doesn't bring him in until right after the damage was done in the 5th when the ballgame was now 5-3 Yankees.

I ask you again...why? Because Buck loves the win rule. He'd rather force his pitcher through 5 innings if at all possible...rather than reading the situation and the performance of his starter. Especially one that shouldn't be throwing near 40 pitches in a single inning. It was irresponsible. Even more irresponsible because this club just called up a fresh arm. And has expanded rosters.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I ask you again...why? Because Buck loves the win rule. He'd rather force his pitcher through 5 innings if at all possible...rather than reading the situation and the performance of his starter. Especially one that shouldn't be throwing near 40 pitches in a single inning. It was irresponsible. Even more irresponsible because this club just called up a fresh arm. And has expanded rosters.

Not as much as he loves the save rule.  Saves >>>> Wins

12 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

The rosters are expanded....and we have same old Buck. 

Here we have a starting pitcher who essentially has the Orioles with a 6 man rotation to manage his innings...and Buck is out there leaving him in there for 37 pitches in the 4th inning to get his pitch count over 90.

And then what does he do in the 5th? Trots him back out there.

WHY? It was clear Bundy didn't have it. He completely fell apart in the 4th. And while he had Castro warming up in the 4th...he doesn't bring him in until right after the damage was done in the 5th when the ballgame was now 5-3 Yankees.

The idea that Buck sent Bundy out for the fifth inning because he "loves the win rule" is utterly absurd.    You do realize that the bullpen had to cover 8 innings in the previous game?    18 innings in the previous 3 games?   28.2 innings in the previous 5 games?    The reason that Buck left Bundy out there was simply in the hopes that he wouldn't need to tax the bullpen further.     You can question that decision, but to suggest he did it because of the "win" rule is preposterous.   

As it is, Buck had to use Castro, who has pitched way too much lately (26 innings in a 30-day period as of his last appearance), and Rodriguez, who was utterly ineffective in his major league debut.    He really didn't have a lot of great options.    And again, even if you question leaving Bundy out there, there's no basis to suggest it was due to the "win" rule.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

The idea that Buck sent Bundy out for the fifth inning because he "loves the win rule" is utterly absurd.    You do realize that the bullpen had to cover 8 innings in the previous game?    18 innings in the previous 3 games?   28.2 innings in the previous 5 games?    The reason that Buck left Bundy out there was simply in the hopes that he wouldn't need to tax the bullpen further.     You can question that decision, but to suggest he did it because of the "win" rule is preposterous.   

As it is, Buck had to use Castro, who has pitched way too much lately (26 innings in a 30-day period as of his last appearance), and Rodriguez, who was utterly ineffective in his major league debut.    He really didn't have a lot of great options.    And again, even if you question leaving Bundy out there, there's no basis to suggest it was due to the "win" rule.

I disagree. 100%. Here's the kicker:

We have an expanded roster. We just called up Ynoa (on Sunday). There's an off day on Thursday. Castro was warming up in the 4th. If Bundy was pitching so piss-poorly that Castro would have came in the 4th if one more reached...what is Buck's rationale to letting Bundy start the 5th? 

Did he truly not want to use Castro *again*? If so...why warm him up?

Is it because he doesn't trust Ynoa to pitch 2 games in a row?

Is it because he doesn't trust Richard Rodriguez?

Yacabonis 2 games in a row?

If *1* inning with an off day on Thursday is worth pushing Bundy another inning after throwing *37* in 1 inning when we showed he was clearly gassed...then shame on both Buck and Duquette for not being able to piece together even mop up duty bodies *the first week of September*. It's disgraceful.

Hell, put Ubaldo in. He last pitched on August 30th. And has no business being in the rotation. But I digress.

o

18 OUTS: ) 8 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 3 Groundouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/12)

IP:llll6

H:lllll 5 )) (2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:lllll 1

BB:ll 1

SO:lll8

Pitches: )l  89 )(65 )Strikes, )24 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 4.03

2017 WHIP: )l 1.179 )  165.33 Innings  (195 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .236 )  (145 for 614)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 ll(11 llStrikes,  ll2 llBalls)

19 ll(13 llStrikes,  ll6 llBalls)

18 ll(13 llStrikes,  ll5 llBalls)

91 ll(61 llStrikes,  ll 3 llBalls)

10 ll(91 llStrikes,  ll 1 llBalls)

20 ll(13 llStrikes,  ll 7 llBalls)

o

That was a really odd outing.   He made some tremendous pitches, and also some terrible ones.    He missed his location with his fastball repeatedly, but his breaking stuff was great.   The Jays had the leadoff hitter on in four of six innings on hits, had a runner on 2nd with nobody out twice, and hit a bunch of rockets to the fence in the 3rd and 4th innings.    Yet, they looked helpless at times, striking out eight times against him.    I was glad to see Buck pull him after six.     Overall, it could have turned out a lot worse, but I saw a lot of good things, too.

P.S.   -- Bundy's now pitched enough innings to qualify for the ERA title.   Obviously he's not in the running for that, but it's a nice milestone to pass.

FWIW, last night's start was Bundy's 19th quality start in 27 outings.    He also had a game where he pitched 5 innings and allowed 2 runs.    So, he's really only had 7 poor outings the entire season.   Overall, you have to be very pleased with that.     I think the biggest thing Bundy needs to do is learn to limit the damage a little better on the days he doesn't have it.

In his 20 good starts, Bundy has pitched 132 innings and allowed 35 ER (6.6 IP per start, 2.38 ERA). In his 7 bad starts, he pitched 33.1 innings and allowed 39 ER (4.76 IP per start, 10.53 ERA).     It's notable that even in his lousy games, he managed to give the team 4-5 innings every time, something our other starters failed to do 20 times.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

FWIW, last night's start was Bundy's 19th quality start in 27 outings.    He also had a game where he pitched 5 innings and allowed 2 runs.    So, he's really only had 7 poor outings the entire season.   Overall, you have to be very pleased with that.     I think the biggest thing Bundy needs to do is learn to limit the damage a little better on the days he doesn't have it.

In his 20 good starts, Bundy has pitched 132 innings and allowed 35 ER (6.6 IP per start, 2.38 ERA). In his 7 bad starts, he pitched 33.1 innings and allowed 39 ER (4.76 IP per start, 10.53 ERA).     It's notable that even in his lousy games, he managed to give the team 4-5 innings every time, something our other starters failed to do 20 times.

I'd be looking to move him after this solid season. I still have no confidence his arm isn't about to fall off at any second.

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

I'd be looking to move him after this solid season. I still have no confidence his arm isn't about to fall off at any second.

I understand this thinking, but he is by far my favorite pitcher to watch so I am quite content to watch him pitch even right up until his arm goes sailing in at the batter with the ball still stuck in his hand!

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

I dunno. At least he's effective with his arm still attached. That's more than you can say about the rest of the starting rotation. I'm not sure anybody you get back if going to be much better than Bundy pitching in the AL East. 

Just now, interloper said:

I dunno. At least he's effective with his arm still attached. That's more than you can say about the rest of the starting rotation. I'm not sure anybody you get back if going to be much better than Bundy pitching in the AL East. 

I have no confidence in this team being good in the immediate future, so I'd be using him to gather prospects, along with several others.

o

13 OUTS: ) 5 Flyouts, 3 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY )))))) (vs. RED SOX, 9/18)

IP:llll4.33

H:lllll 7 )) (1 Double, 6 Singles)

R:lllll 6

BB:ll 1

SO:lll2

Pitches: )l  76 )(51 )Strikes, )25 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 4.24

2017 WHIP: )l 1.196 )  169.67 Innings  (203 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .240 )  (152 for 633)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 ll(71 llStrikes,  ll31 llBalls)

11 ll(91 llStrikes,  ll21 llBalls)

13 ll(81 llStrikes,  ll51 llBalls)

91 ll(81 llStrikes,  ll 11 llBalls)

33 ll(19 llStrikes,  l14 llllBalls) ) *

* Bundy recorded 1 out before departing in the 5th inning.

o

Strange game.   His breaking stuff wasn't crisp at all.    He made some mistakes in favorable counts.    But he also made some great pitches that the Red Sox laid off, including two in a row to JBJ, one a curve that dove under the knees and then a slider that broke down and in at the last second.  100% of Orioles hitters would have swung at those pitches.   

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I would give Bundy one last start to go out on a high note against a weaker Tampa lineup and potentially finish the year with an ERA under 4.  Then I'd shut him down.  The last start can go to someone else.  

Buck indicated Bundy will get at least one more start.    It could come Sunday, on five days' rest.    If they wait beyond that, his next start will certainly be his last, since Monday is an off day.

Archived