Does BM's fastball top out at 92mph? If so...bummer. He would have to have exquisite (sp?) control with that fastball to be a #1.

Give me alverez' date=' hosmer or smoak.[/quote']

Matusz can touch 94 when needed, but he pitches at 89-91 normally. Throwing a FB at 92 is enough of a FB to keep teams honest while he carves them up with precision secondary offerings. :)

I will take secret option number 3! Gordon Beckham I am quite high on. I think a franchise SS that will be up quickly is the way to go. Granted if Alvarez is there I would take him first but if not GB is the way to go IMO. He mashed in college and his power could definitely develop. I would like to see the O's snag him at #4. I don't think he will be the best player available but I don't think that it is enough of a difference that it will matter.

Just an example...

Lines from Friday:

Matusz -- 9 IP, o ER, 3 H, 10 SO, 1 BB

Crow -- 9 IP, o ER, 3 H, 10 SO, 5 BB

While this is just one example, I believe it's safe to say Matusz's command over his three plus-pitches is more advanced than that of Crow over his arsenal.

I wouldn't consider Matusz's fastball a plus pitch. But I would concede Matusz has better command of his breaking stuff.

I would also point out how often Matusz throws his breaking/offspeed stuff, which I do think makes his numbers look better than they would otherwise against higher competition simply because the hitters at the lower levels often have a much tougher time hitting breaking stuff than a fastball, no matter how good each pitch is.

I wouldn't consider Matusz's fastball a plus pitch. But I would concede Matusz has better command of his breaking stuff.

I would also point out how often Matusz throws his breaking/offspeed stuff, which I do think makes his numbers look better than they would otherwise against higher competition simply because the hitters at the lower levels often have a much tougher time hitting breaking stuff than a fastball, no matter how good each pitch is.

That's fair. His fastball probably is not plus, but it pitches up due to superior command. I don't have as big a problem with him pitching off his breaking stuff. It isn't like he's throwing in the mid-80s with his FB -- it's low-90's. In fact, I'd argue that pitching off of his breaking stuff and his plus changeup allows his FB to play as if it's a mid-90's FB, since hitters have to look offspeed.

He needs to lengthen his stride and drive with his FB, which I think he can learn to do, and he'll settle in as a very good #2.

Just my thoughts...nice post.

That's fair. His fastball probably is not plus, but it pitches up due to superior command. I don't have as big a problem with him pitching off his breaking stuff. It isn't like he's throwing in the mid-80s with his FB -- it's low-90's. In fact, I'd argue that pitching off of his breaking stuff and his plus changeup allows his FB to play as if it's a mid-90's FB, since hitters have to look offspeed.

He needs to lengthen his stride and drive with his FB, which I think he can learn to do, and he'll settle in as a very good #2.

Just my thoughts...nice post.

True...though I will counter (and you already note this in your post) that unless he does make the proper adjustments, his fastball plays slower than the 92 mph on the radar gun indicates.

It just seems you have a little higher of an opinion on Matusz (while I am higher on Crow, who I think can become a #1-type starter). I see him more as a #3 with some upside to become a #2, while I definitely see Crow as the pitcher, health not withstanding, who will go on to have a better career.

True...though I will counter (and you already note this in your post) that unless he does make the proper adjustments, his fastball plays slower than the 92 mph on the radar gun indicates.

It just seems you have a little higher of an opinion on Matusz (while I am higher on Crow, who I think can become a #1-type starter). I see him more as a #3 with some upside to become a #2, while I definitely see Crow as the pitcher, health not withstanding, who will go on to have a better career.

I think the fastball "playing down" because of his shorter stride is fair. I think it's just hard for scouts to get a handle on him because it's so rare to have a pitcher who is better with his "seondary stuff", to the point where his fastball is actually his secondary stuff. I view him as a poor man's Buchholz --obviously because Buchholz has so much more on his FB. They are similar in that they are most comfortable, and effective, with their CB/CH/SL. I don't see Matusz matching Buchholz's upside, but I think he will continue to thrive with his offspeed stuff, much like Buchholz has. Whoever drafts him should extend his stride a little, add 2-3 MPH on his FB, and he should be a safe #2. The fact that up to the stride he is so smooth and compact should make the adjustment easier to make.

Archived