Amazing! One wrong move costs Buck

wildcard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I blame each and every one of the pitchers who allowed the Yankees back in this game.    Using Nuno made perfect sense.     It just didn't work out, just like using Brach and Aquino didn't work out.   And I do blame Gausman for not nailing the door shut.  

So you think Nuno is as good a pitcher as Givens, Brach and O'Day?

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Aquino stuff wise looks like he has nothing. I mean I was shocked he pitched that great vs Boston. Posssible Asher may stick. Nuno was good vs Tampa. He needs matchups to be successful. 

Yeah, Aquino won't succeed in this division. I always thought he had better stuff. But 88-90 with zero command. How did he take a second start away from Asher is beyond me. It's not like Aquino has been overly impressive in the minors. The only positive I see in him is he's a LHP. A bad one...but LH.

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The thing is Buck is usually someone who doesn't pitch long men in a spot like that.  He gave Nuno a chance that if Britton is here he normally wouldn't get. I don't blame Buck. Who wants to burn your 3 best when you have a 7 run lead.  

I guess we saw that logic does not work in Yankee Stadium.   The Yankees have been surging.  They have a powerful offense.  A 7 run lead is not any safer in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park or Camden Yards.  Buck knows this.  No against the Yankees the way they have been playing.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Buck has been Britton, Brach, O"Day and Hart in games where the team is ahead.  He had been using the other relievers in games where the O's were behind or the above pitchers have pitched two days in a row.   Buck took a different path then his normal by using Nuno while the O's were ahead. And it turned out badly.

Up 7 runs 

No Britton

First game of 17 straight 

Just now, wildcard said:

I guess we saw that logic does not work in Yankee Stadium.   The Yankees have been surging.  They have a powerful offense.  A 7 run lead is not any safer in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park or Camden Yards.  Buck knows this.  No against the Yankees the way they have been playing.

Just now, wildcard said:

It works if Nuno makes better pitches. At the end of the day Brach failed last night, the man had a 3 run lead. 

The Yankees are hot which is irritating. They aren't this good but they are in one of those stretches where they feel invincible.

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

He didn't say that. But for this game, Brach was bad...very bad. 

Brach had a bad game.  But Buck had to use him.  He hadn't allowed a run this year.  There was no reason believe he would blow up before he entered the game.   That is not the case with Nuno.  Nuno is probably the 5th or 6th best reliever on the team.   Buck could have went to his 7th inning guy - Givens.  But he didn't until the Yankees had made a game of it with a great slam.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Brach had a bad game.  But Buck had to use him.  He hadn't allowed a run this year.  There was no reason believe he would blow up before he entered the game.   That is not the case with Nuno.  Nuno is probably the 5th or 6th best reliever on the team.   Buck could have went to his 7th inning guy - Givens.  But he didn't until the Yankees had made a game of it with a great slam.

All situations aren't created equal. If Buck keeps using his best arms in spots like this they will never last. We need Britton back because it extends the pen as much as having him be the closer. People would rip Buck if in a close game he doesn't have an arm available that he used in a blowout. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

All situations aren't created equal. If Buck keeps using his best arms in spots like this they will never last. We need Britton back because it extends the pen as much as having him be the closer. People would rip Buck if in a close game he doesn't have an arm available that he used in a blowout. 

It was obvious not a blowout.  It was a game vs the surging Yankees in Yankee Stadium.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A major league pitcher should be able to hold a 7 run lead regardless. I was upset at Buck last night, but now that I have calmed down and have stopped to think about it, Nuno should have been able to hold it. 

Just now, wildcard said:

That was when Nuno entered the game.  When he left it was:

Up 3 runs

NO Britton

First of 17 straight.

Bad move.

So basically you think regardless of lead Buck can't use anyone other than Givens there. And the pen will last if he does that? You keep using those guys in spots like that then they aren't around for the closer games. Once again if Britton is here, Buck doesn't use Nuno. In that scenario he can lay off of one of Givens/O'Day/Brach. 

Archived