Please, no more Ubaldo

Three Run Homer

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And some folks were just so excited that the owner was finally willing to pay for a FA pitcher.

Even today it's hard to fathom that they gave up a pick to sign someone who failed the physical.

They were willing to give up a number 2 after Fowler signed then were desperate is my guess. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I love reading the following on him the past 3 years:

"he's good every other year"

"he will excel elsewhere"

"when he's on, he's on"

EverytimevI see this turd pitch, I just have flashbacks to the wildcard game last year.

Cut him. If you can pay Davis and Trumbo huge contracts, you can eat this guy's salary.

Just thinking of all the possibities when it comes to Ubaldo. The guy is a team player and an all around good guy. BUT...he was signed when his velocity had been dropping.  This happens to most veteran power pitchers. With his weird windup, slinging the ball worked well when the velocity was 98 or so. But when it slows down, the pitcher has to learn how to pitch, not just sling it in there. Many veteran pitchers aren't able to make this adjustment and thus their MLB careers end. Unless Ubaldo learns how to pitch and not just throw, he won't be worth a whole lot to any MLB team.

So, here are the possibities: 

1. Try and engineer a trade. The problems with this is that everyone knows that he is in his walk year.  Any team that might be interested can wait and sign him.next year to a minor league contract and hope that they.can teach him how to pitch if it can be done. I doubt that anyone would be interested right now.

2. Release him and eat up his contract and free up his roster spot. Hopefully he won't become the next Jake Arrietta for another team.

3. Keep him around and put him back into the pen. Maybe Alan Mills can teach him how to pitch, at least in order to be serviceable in long relief or mop up.

4.Keep running him out there in the rotation and have a long relief guy available. Who knows,  he might actually learn how to pitch and then he can be re- signed for 4 more years. ?

17 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

Just thinking of all the possibities when it comes to Ubaldo. The guy is a team player and an all around good guy. BUT...he was signed when his velocity had been dropping.  This happens to most veteran power pitchers. With his weird windup, slinging the ball worked well when the velocity was 98 or so. But when it slows down, the pitcher has to learn how to pitch, not just sling it in there. Many veteran pitchers aren't able to make this adjustment and thus their MLB careers end. Unless Ubaldo learns how to pitch and not just throw, he won't be worth a whole lot to any MLB team.

1. Try and engineer a trade. The problems with this is that everyone knows that he is in his walk year.  Any team that might be interested can wait and sign him.next year to a minor league contract and hope that they.can teach him how to pitch if it can be done. I doubt that anyone would be interested right now.

2. Release him and eat up his contract and free up his roster spot. Hopefully he won't become the next Jake Arrietta for another team.

3. Keep him around and put him back into the pen. Maybe Alan Mills can teach him how to pitch, at least in order to be serviceable in long relief or mop up.

4.Keep running him out there in the rotation and have a long relief guy available. Who knows,  he might actually learn how to pitch and then he can be re- signed for 4 more years. ?

Alan Mills the next Houdini.Every year they say this guy fixed him or that guy.Buck said he was a much different pitcher in Spring Training. Same as it ever was.Look where my arm angle was.As the day goes by.

3 hours ago, Nevermore said:

You can't bullpen a guy prone to losing the strike zone, longballs and who can't hold runners. And he has zero trade value, even if they would eat all his salary. It has to be #2. And the bold part... yeah, well, I'm not so worried about that happening.

If Ubaldo wins 10 MLB games in any season from here on out, I will happily donate $100 to the charity of your choice. 

This has gone on long enough. 4.40 ERA in the three years prior to the Orioles signing. Not sure what DD expected. Don't even worry about if he might go on a good stretch after we cut him. One good month out of 6 is not enough to warrant a major league roster spot. 

Jayson Aquino looks like 2017's Mitch Atkins. Asher is the only depth SP that has looked like a viable replacement. 

Sigh....Eduardo Rodriguez, Andrew Triggs, Zach Davies, Miguel Gonzalez....wouldn't be surprised if Josh Hader and Steven Berault are added to this list by the end of the year.

Archived