Manny furious after the game

ArtVanDelay

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't read through the whole thread, but if Sale throws the ball at Manny's hip, this is a non-issue.   The issue is that this is twice that very hard throwers have thrown at his HEAD!    You are messing with someone's life by throwing a 90+ MPH fastball at his HEAD!

EDIT:  Sorry...just watched the video...didn't realize that Sale's pitch wasn't near his HEAD!   Still...it's a bit much on the Sox for this.   They need to get over it.

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

What I'd love for Manny to do:

The Red Sox need a third baseman

Manny will be a FA after 2018 season

I'd like Manny to declare that he will not even consider signing with the Boston Red Sox if John Farrell is the manager

I'd be very happy if he would resign with the O's. 

I hope they throw at Manny, I hope Manny doesn't charge, I hope the O's don't retaliate, and I hope every Oriole that hits a homer takes his sweet, sweet time rounding the bases over the next 2 games.  Like, make Ortiz look like Usain Bolt.  

7 minutes ago, dan-O said:

He's going to get suspended, and I wouldn't blame him for flipping out. But I don't see a scenario in which Manny does not charge the mound tonight and get suspended. 

If the Orioles take the high ground and don't retaliate, all will be well. The Sox believed the Orioles were owed a pitch from Mookie being hit. The Orioles thought that pitch evened things from Manny being hit. At some point someone has to take the high road. It's never going to be square for both sides.

Manny has done a lot to maintain restraint. Even with the f-bombs he is winning the public relations war. He is going to come out of this as the most popular player in MLB, and he is showing that he is mature enough to recognize that is going to help get him paid more than Harper.

That said, if Ubaldo were to throw at Mookie again and get thrown out and suspended I would not be terribly upset. Much rather lose Ubaldo than Manny. There are many scenarios for accountability that don't involve Manny getting suspended.

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sale should have been thrown out on the spot.  It was so obvious he was throwing at Manny.  Unless, you believe Boston pitchers just lose control of their pitches when Manny is batting.  I saw the full interview with Manny.  He was trying to curse Boston in so many ways he ran out of breath.  If Manny is thrown at again in the next game, he's going to the mound. 

I hope Manny doesn't do that. Farrell is a real piece of work. If MLB had any balls they'd suspend  Farrell. When a pitcher is called on to throw at someone which I think Farrell did to Sale. MLB needs to nip this in the bud before someone is seriously injured or killed. 

Manny's rant probably doesn't reflect that well on Manny nationally, but I think it's devastating for the Sox and Farrell. The bulls eye is on them now. They have a reputation that's now blatantly obvious to the league office, the media and to the rest of the league. In that sense, Manny's rant was probably the best way to end this current back and forth while also stigmatizing Farrell in particular moving forward. It might even get Sale and Farrell suspended in the short term.

Sometimes you have to act out to bring attention to the issue, so I'm glad Manny did that.

3 hours ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

I think its time for Manny to start losing control of that bat during a few swings. With a little practice I bet he could send a helicopter right at that pitching rubber. Turn the tables and see how good those pitchers are at dodgeball.

No use for Manny to do that. The best way to get back at a pitcher is to hit a HR. If Manny hit a pitcher with the bat then he would or could be suspended. Cooler heads need to prevail. Violence begets violence. No need for that. Suspend the manager when that happens and the pitcher can be fined or suspended.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

What I'd love for Manny to do:

The Red Sox need a third baseman.

Manny will be a FA after 2018 season.

I'd like Manny to declare that he will not even consider signing with the Boston Red Sox if John Farrell is the manager.

o

When that time comes, I'd like Manny to tell everyone that he is on the verge of signing with the Red Sox ......... and then say, "Nah, I was just kidding."

o

I guess I am way to old school but how about Manny taking the higher road and just saying something like "it's baseball, hopefully it's over"? Whatever his personal feeling are about it you dont have to share it with the world. If Sale wanted to hit Manny he would have. That pitch was the definition of a purpose pitch. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

I guess I am way to old school but how about Manny taking the higher road and just saying something like "it's baseball, hopefully it's over"? Whatever his personal feeling are about it you dont have to share it with the world. If Sale wanted to hit Manny he would have. That pitch was the definition of a purpose pitch. 

It's easy to say a guy should stay classy when you're not the one that's been getting baseball thrown at you at 95+ MPH.

58 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Manny's rant probably doesn't reflect that well on Manny nationally, but I think it's devastating for the Sox and Farrell. The bulls eye is on them now. They have a reputation that's now blatantly obvious to the league office, the media and to the rest of the league. In that sense, Manny's rant was probably the best way to end this current back and forth while also stigmatizing Farrell in particular moving forward. It might even get Sale and Farrell suspended in the short term.

Sometimes you have to act out to bring attention to the issue, so I'm glad Manny did that.

Who cares? I'm glad the O's have guys that are willing to be outspoken and actually address stuff, rather than offering the same cliches night after night.

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Haven't read through the whole thread, but if Sale throws the ball at Manny's hip, this is a non-issue.   The issue is that this is twice that very hard throwers have thrown at his HEAD!    You are messing with someone's life by throwing a 90+ MPH fastball at his HEAD!

EDIT:  Sorry...just watched the video...didn't realize that Sale's pitch wasn't near his HEAD!   Still...it's a bit much on the Sox for this.   They need to get over it.

You don't always hit where you aim. Throwing a 98mph fastball at any part of the batter has a potential danger to it.

You could kind of see a look of disgust on Pedroias face after Sale did it. Obviously, the team captain doesn't have alot of influence on that team. 

ThiThis could really cause some issues in the clubhouse and hurt them in the longrun.

I pretty strongly disagree with those hoping for any retaliation beyond winning more games. Whether it be throwing at the Sox, mound charging, or bat throwing. I don't want players injured or suspended on either side, Manny most of all. 

Hopefully the Red Sox finally realize it's better for this to be done with. 

Archived