A look at how Buck is using our part-time outfielders

Frobby

Mark Trumbo has played all 30 games, 10  of them starting in right field and 20 starting at DH.   He's off to a slow start, .231/.279/.314 with 2 HR, 13 RBI in 129 PA.    So far, he's hit better when playing RF (.684 OPS) than as a DH (.551).

Trey Mancini has played in 20 games (8 starts in the OF, 6 in LF, 2 in RF).   He's been hot the last few days after cooling off for a while, .297/.313/.641, 6 HR, 18 RBI in 67 PA.

Seth Smith has played in 18 games, 14 starting in right field and 1 start in LF, and has been very consistent, .298/.394/.491 in 66 PA.  He missed a few games with a tight hamstring.

Hyun Soo Kim has played in 16 games (12 starts, all in LF), and is hitting .227/.306/.318 in 49 PA.

Joey Rickard has played in 14 games despite a 16-game stint on the DL, making 4 starts in LF and 2 in RF, and is hitting .286/.306/.371 in 36 PA.

Craig Gentry has played in 28 games (!) (8 starts, 6 in LF and 2 in RF) and is hitting .182/.282/.303 in 39 PA.

So in LF the starts have gone: Kim 12, Mancini 6, Gentry 6, Rickard 4, Smith 1, Flaherty 1.   Gentry and Rickard have each been used as a defensive replacement 7 times in LF, Kim has been subbed in twice, and Smith and Mancini once each.   The O's have only played 14 games where the left fielder played the entire game.

In RF, Smith has started 14, Trumbo has started 10, and Mancini, Gentry and Rickard each have started twice.    Gentry has been used as a defensive sub in RF 8 times, Rickard 4 times, and Smith twice.    The starting RF has played the entire game 17 times.  

Gentry has spelled Adam Jones twice in CF for a total of 5 innings (one of those games was the one where Jones was ejected), and Rickard has played in CF for one inning.

Kim and Mancini have been used as pinch hitters three times, Gentry twice, and Rickard and Smith once each.

To me, the most interesting thing here is that Buck has found a use for Gentry in almost every single game (28 of 30) even though he rarely starts (8 times), and he's also gotten Rickard into every single game where he's been available (14 of 14, 6 starts).   

I think some of the playing patterns will change now that Rickard is off the DL, and because we probably won't see as many LH starters going forward (13 out of 30 so far).    It's going to be interesting to see if we continue to go with all six of these players on the roster, and how Buck mixes and matches them.   

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gary Gentry has played in 28 games (!) (8 starts, 6 in LF and 2 in RF) and is hitting .182/.282/.303 in 39 PA.

I had to look it up to confirm my guess there had been a player with that name. Impressive slash line for a 70 year old! ;)

7 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I had to look it up to confirm my guess there had been a player with that name. Impressive slash line for a 70 year old! ;)

When you get to be my age, a lot of player names start running together.   

Good write up.  I like the way Buck is using all of his outfielders.  I've been real happy with Seth Smith too.  I also have no problem with how much he has used Rickard.  Joey's continuing to grow as a player, having good at bats, and looking strong defensively.

Now let's get 3 outta 4 from the Nats. They're good, but they haven't been facing our division.

Look at the Cubs.  1-5 against the AL East.  15-10 against the rest of MLB.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Give Frobby a break, he still has nightmares over that 69 series that Gary Gentry was part of. :D

It's kind of like Lowenstein/Roenicke squared. With so many optionable pieces Buck has a lot of freedom to go short in the bullpen and then carry extra position players to match up. Smith is just perfectly suited to mash RHP. Rickard does not mash LHPs necessarily, but does have better numbers against them and is probably the best defensively. The question is whether Mancini can force himself into an every day role. I think Buck will play him as long as he is hot, then have Kim pick him up if/when he cools off, and vice versa. 

Archived