Who will be covering the left side of the infield next year?

FanSince88

On 5/9/2017 at 11:06 AM, orioles119 said:

According to Sportrac, here's a list of pending FA 3B and SS:

3B:

Jhonny Peralta
Todd Frazier
Mike Moustakas
Yunel Escobar
Danny Valencia
Trevor Plouffe
Jung Ho Kang
Aaron Hill
Mark Reynolds
Jose Reyes

SS:

Zach Cozart
Danny Espinosa
Eduardo Nunez
Andres Blanco
Darwin Barney
Alcides Escobar
Cliff Pennington
Erick Aybar

Even if we keep Hardy and Manny for next season, I'd like to see us sign one of the lower-tier guys on this list to a 1-2 year deal to have someone to split time or platoon with Hardy at short or as a viable fallback if we decide to deal Manny at the deadline.  Not that Flash isn't a capable backup, but he's already backing up Schoop at second and one of Manny/Hardy at 3B/SS.  Maybe with more clarity in the OF we can afford to just have one reserve there and add an extra SS/3B reserve in 2018.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you guys kidding? Like, you think there is a possibility that we're signing Manny to an extension? I would be shocked! This decision was made long ago. The FO wasn't able to get an extension done and now he's going to walk. We might trade him during the offseason, but I doubt it. While it would be prudent to trade him, I expect we'll take one more shot at winning a WS with him and Jones and Buck. 

In terms of Hardy, let's see if he makes it through this season unscathed. I love the guy, but his production has dipped, he's older, and he gets injured alot. I could see him getting brought back on a team-friendly 1-year deal. 

23 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

The option is a vesting option, not a team option.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.    It's a team option, which vests for the player if he gets 600 PA.     If he doesn't, the O's still have the right to exercise the option, and have to pay a $2 mm buyout if they don't.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.    It's a team option, which vests for the player if he gets 600 PA.     If he doesn't, the O's still have the right to exercise the option, and have to pay a $2 mm buyout if they don't.   

He means that the O's might not have a choice whether to pay him the 14m or not. Unfortunately.

And I got news for anyone that is thinking it is a lock that it won't vest because of "off days". If he stays healthy, there is a darn good chance it vests. Hardy will try to make sure of it. More importantly Buck will try to make sure of it.  

He is on pace for 605 right now, and are you telling me if it is that close coming down to the end and 14m is on the line he is going to take a day or two off? No chance. 

7 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

He means that the O's might not have a choice whether to pay him the 14m or not. Unfortunately.

And I got news for anyone that is thinking it is a lock that it won't vest because of "off days". If he stays healthy, there is a darn good chance it vests. Hardy will try to make sure of it. More importantly Buck will try to make sure of it.  

He is on pace for 605 right now, and are you telling me if it is that close coming down to the end and 14m is on the line he is going to take a day or two off? No chance. 

I get 597, not 605.   I don't think it will be that close, though, even if Hardy avoids any DL time.    Buck said he would have rested Hardy last weekend, except that Schoop was out so he had to use Flaherty to play 2B.   I think Hardy will start fewer than 150 games when all is said and done and that would put him comfortably below 600 PA.   Frankly, if Hardy gets 600 PA that will mean he's playing a lot better than he's played so far this year. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I get 597, not 605.   I don't think it will be that close, though, even if Hardy avoids any DL time.    Buck said he would have rested Hardy last weekend, except that Schoop was out so he had to use Flaherty to play 2B.   I think Hardy will start fewer than 150 games when all is said and done and that would put him comfortably below 600 PA.   Frankly, if Hardy gets 600 PA that will mean he's playing a lot better than he's played so far this year. 

I agree.

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

100%, Manny starts next year with the Orioles whether they extend him  or not.

There is no way to know what Peter will do.  He signed Davis.  I can see them signing Manny, trading Trumbo with his 12.5m salary and moving Mancini to DH.  They also replace FA Jimenez's 13.5m salary with Asher at 550K.

I will not be surprised by any of that.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is no way to know what Peter will do.  He signed Davis.  I can see them signing Manny, trading Trumbo with his 12.5m salary and moving Mancini to DH.  They also replace FA Jimenez's 13.5m salary with Asher at 550K.

Being able to move Trumbo would be amazing.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You keep talking about trading Trumbo as if it is an option. Nobody wanted him in the off season when they could have had him at their price. They certainly will not want him at an overpay and also trading someone off of their roster for him.

For me, it's all about where Machado would prefer to play. If he prefers 3B now (doubtful), I'd leave him there. If he wants to move to SS, I'd let him move and look at someone like Yunel Escobar as I think he's a solid OBP type guy with a league average stick who'll be affordable.

23 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

For me, it's all about where Machado would prefer to play. If he prefers 3B now (doubtful), I'd leave him there. If he wants to move to SS, I'd let him move and look at someone like Yunel Escobar as I think he's a solid OBP type guy with a league average stick who'll be affordable.

Not sure Yunel is a Buck nugget . Extend Manny at SS and sign Mustakes.

3 hours ago, theobird said:

I think they get Manny signed to play ss. I think Schoop moves over to third base and Mountcastle is the second baseman. We will see.

I don't see Mountcastle being moved up to the majors by next season.

However, I do see Giovatelli (I'll learn to spell it if this works out...) being the second baseman next season, with your left side of the infield.

Or, if Drew Dosch starts destroying baseballs in Norfolk, I could see him come on up.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't see Mountcastle being moved up to the majors by next season.

However, I do see Giovatelli (I'll learn to spell it if this works out...) being the second baseman next season, with your left side of the infield.

Or, if Drew Dosch starts destroying baseballs in Norfolk, I could see him come on up.

Giavotella has been doing a nice job in Norfolk (.295/.382/.464).

Archived