Gio Gonzalez: The Orioles Will Swing at Anything

OFFNY

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess I'm a little less sensitive than some of you guys. What exactly did Gonzalez say that was so awful? When you throw a pitch that's literally a full foot above the strike zone and it gets tomahawked for a homer, isn't the natural reaction, "Where do I need to throw it so that they won't hit it --- the backstop?"    I didn't find his comment offensive in the slightest.

o

Comments (plural.)

He didn't just talk about the Trumbo's tomahawk home runHe also said that "The only thing that beat me was the long ball (the home run), and that if they had taken those pitches, they would have been strikes."

If he's just trying to be funny, then he really needs some work at it if he's considering a second career after he retires from baseball

o

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess I'm a little less sensitive than some of you guys.    What exactly did Gonzalez say that was so awful?   When you throw a pitch that's literally a full foot above the strike zone and it gets tomahawked for a homer, isn't the natural reaction, "where do I need to throw it so that they won't hit it -- the backstop?"    I didn't find his comment offensive in the slightest.

Agreed, on all counts. Folks need to relax.

Do the Orioles swing at balls more than some teams, including the Nats? Yes.  Do they swing at everything? No.  Turns out, this year, the Orioles aren't even wildly less selective than average.

The second column is swings at pitches out of the strike zone (regardless of result).  The third column is total pitches out of the strike zone.  The fourth column is the percentage of pitches out of the zone at which the team swung.  The Orioles are at 27.15%.  The Nats are at 24.2%, so the Os are definitely less selective... no big surprise.  The average across baseball is 26.44%, so the Orioles are really just slightly above average.  As a whole, the NL is slightly less selective than the AL (26.09% vs. 26.80%).  That's probably not significant over the sample size.  

Interestingly, when I looked at this, I didn't expect there to be much correlation between the selectivity percentage and the number of wins a team has recorded.  When I ran it though, it found a moderate negative correlation between selectivity and wins.  So, the more selective a team is, the fewer wins they have.  That doesn't mean much given that a highly selective team might have really bad pitching, which could throw the correlation off, but I thought it worth noting.  

MIN 490 2160 22.69%
CLE 560 2402 23.31%
NYY 622 2604 23.89%
WSH 595 2459 24.20%
TOR 604 2494 24.22%
LAD 615 2519 24.41%
PIT 600 2403 24.97%
OAK 605 2418 25.02%
BOS 575 2295 25.05%
DET 558 2223 25.10%
CIN 614 2379 25.81%
SEA 645 2483 25.98%
TB 706 2706 26.09%
STL 633 2425 26.10%
SF 633 2379 26.61%
MIL 659 2468 26.70%
NYM 610 2282 26.73%
LAA 667 2484 26.85%
PHI 664 2449 27.11%
BAL 602 2217 27.15%
ARI 675 2471 27.32%
MIA 613 2244 27.32%
CHC 712 2585 27.54%
COL 638 2289 27.87%
TEX 687 2427 28.31%
HOU 712 2488 28.62%
CWS 628 2182 28.78%
ATL 610 2060 29.61%
SD 715 2356 30.35%
KC 690 2264 30.48%

12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Comments (plural.)

He didn't just talk about the Trumbo's tomahawk home runHe also said that "The only thing that beat me was the long ball (the home run), and that if they had taken those pitches, they would have been strikes."

If he's just trying to be funny, then he really needs some work at it if he's considering a second career after he retires from baseball

o

That comment doesn't bother me either.    It seems to me that it's a comment on his own pitching, not some implied criticism of the Orioles' hitters.   

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm not sure I agree with this 100%.  There seems to be a bit of orthodoxy that has developed suggesting that patient, long PA with more walks and less attacking is indisputably the best way to approach offense.  I'm not sure more patient PA are an ends unto themselves.  If the team's approach works, all the power to them.  Runs scored and wins is the ends I want them to achieve.

Obviously all things equal, I would like them to walk more (and 2B more, and SB more and HR more).  I'm just not sure I want the team to potentially sacrifice one of it's players' best attributes in search of that.

I can tell you as someone who has pitched myself that the more patient hitters wear you down and get better pitches to hit over the course of their longer at-bats.  But I don't disagree with your larger point, I wouldn't want to sacrifice run production for the sake of a potential increase in OBP.  I doubt that a more patient approach is a learnable skill for players already at the MLB level, so I think it's more about the type of players the O's sign and draft going forward rather than a transformation that needs to take place among the current personnel. 

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That comment doesn't bother me, eitherIt seems to me that it's a comment on his own pitching, not some implied criticism of the Orioles' hitters.  

o

Well if that's the case, then Gonzalez is a very gracious loser with an average at-best sense of humor.

o

27 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

Statcast guys say that Trumbomb is the highest ever hit in the pitch-tracking era.

Meaning, the height of the pitch when it was hit (4.62 feet off the ground).

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meaning, the height of the pitch when it was hit (4.62 feet off the ground).

Which, for the record, is not over Trumbo's head, unless he's freakishly short for a baseball player.  In reality, it's likely 20" below the top of his head.

Talking to the old-timers (even compared to me), chest high used to be the wheelhouse for power hitters back in the day.  Of course, the strike zone umps used back then was higher than it is now.  Maybe Trumbo's simply a throw-back type of player.

Archived