vs. TIGERS, 5/17

OFFNY

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, HokieOs said:

Sure he can. That said, I think the quick recoil makes the bat look like it went even further than it did. 

And the fact is that the first check swing looked like he went too.

Wow, I'm not sure how ANYONE could think that first check swing looked like he went.  Even CB could see that.  

4 minutes ago, HokieOs said:

And yes, I'm aware that front of the plate is not the general rule and it's up to the discretion of the ump. But I don't see the dispute here. Looked like he went to me.

What? It's a swing that's in a range that gets called either way and a type of call that has no hard and fast rule.  It is inherently disputable. 

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Wow, I'm not sure how ANYONE could think that first check swing looked like he went.  Even CB could see that.  

Touche. But what that also means that if what the ump says goes, then there's nothing to dispute, it's up to him to make the call. But I think most umps make the same call.

16 minutes ago, HokieOs said:

Touche. But what that also means that if what the ump says goes, then there's nothing to dispute, it's up to him to make the call. But I think most umps make the same call.

I respectfully disagree. Is your last name Bucknor by chance?

That is definitely not a call that "most umps" would make. I'd actually say that's a strike maybe 5% of the time at most.

The timing was also the worst. CB inserted himself into the game at its most critical moment. With a call of such importance, you err on the side of caution. If the roles were reversed, I would think we just stole one.

Just now, ChinMusic said:

I respectfully disagree. Is your last name Bucknor by chance?

That is definitely not a call that "most umps" would make. I'd actually say that's a strike maybe 5% of the time at most.

The timing was also the worst. CB inserted himself into the game at its most critical moment. With a call of such importance, you err on the side of caution. If the roles were reversed, I would think we just stole one.

He's worse than Bucknor.  At least CB could see that first check-swing wasn't a swing.  

And with all due respect to HokieO's, I think everyone who can tell the difference between a hockey puck and a baseball knows what the check-swing rule is.  

Btw, here are some quotes from motownsports.com's game thread.

"CBBucknor late for his date. Tigers win"

"QUICK..............SNAP THE BALL BEFORE THEY CAN OVERTURN IT !!!!!!!!!!"

"Arguably the worst umpire in MLB steals the win for the good guys"

"Color me shocked, CB missed a call."

I think it's fair to say that when your opposing fans feel like they got away with one, that's probably exactly what happened. Not a single person in that game thread thought that was the correct call.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

He's worse than Bucknor.  At least CB could see that first check-swing wasn't a swing.  

And with all due respect to HokieO's, I think everyone who can tell the difference between a hockey puck and a baseball knows what the check-swing rule is.  

I should probably just let this die, but his insistence on being wrong about something plain as day is really irking me at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

And they slowed it down and it wasn't close. Even Palmer said it was wrong. 

I love me some Palmer. He calls it like he sees it, and never pulls any punches. If he thought that was a bad call, I tend to agree.

Archived