18 O's players eligible for the Rule 5 draft ....

wildcard

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe, but I'd be more inclined to protect someone like Hess before Yacabonis.     Either way, RH relievers are readily available in our system and in others I'm not sure I see anything particularly special about Yacabonis.   He might get called up before the season is over and make it a moot point.

I see more upside with Yacabonis, but you are right about it maybe being a moot point.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not sure why.  Yacabonis doesn't have great peripherals.   He's not a huge strikeout guy.    I'd be pretty interested to see what Hess can do if only asked to go one or two innings at a time.    My gut feeling is that he'd be a better relief prospect than Yacabonis, Crichton, etc.

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what it is either. When I watched him in Bowie, I just saw something that made me go "he has potential." 

Hess is pretty good and does his job, but I don't quite get the same feeling. That's just me though.

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty easy.  You protect Sisco and Scott.    Those are definites.  Maybe Wynns and maybe Kipper.    No reason to protect anyone else.

Sisco is obvious.  I'm not so sure about Scott though.  I think you're correct and they'll protect him, but if he's still having ridiculous walk rates by the end of this year I'm not sure he'll be worth the spot.  Will depend on how much room we have.

5 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Thought Castillo was a team option. $7 Million.

I would expect a few of these will be thrown into trades.

Player option. So basically it's a matter of how well Wellington plays the rest of this season. If he keeps hitting, he'll almost assuredly decline his own option and go back to the market. If he starts to struggle or sustains a longer term injury, I imagine he'll take the option.

On 5/23/2017 at 7:49 AM, DirtyBird said:

Isn't Wilkerson worth protecting as a switch hitting, super-utility guy?

Right now, he probably wouldn't be taken since he hasn't seen much time above A+. However, he was recently brought up to Bowie and has kept putting up good numbers so far. I expect him to go to the Arizona Fall League after this season and that will make them decide. He does have that unique role and combination of speed, power, great contact, good glove work, and versatility in the field that could make him valuable.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:41 PM, RZNJ said:

Pretty easy.  You protect Sisco and Scott.    Those are definites.  Maybe Wynns and maybe Kipper.    No reason to protect anyone else.

Bingo. I think we'd protect Mullins. Especially if he performs well and stays healthy. We just took A. Tavares who is very similar in the rule 5. 

Definites: Sisco, Scott, Mullins

Probably's: Yacabonis, Wynns

Maybe's: Rodriguez, Kipper

We have lots of guys who will have no options to start next year so we will see 40 man roster overhaul. Wright, Wilson, Ynoa, Nuno, Aquino. 

Archived