Buster Olney: 'No Chance' Orioles Re-Sign Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

5 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Houston doesn't have resources to pay Machado $30 mil per, nor should they really. They need pitching. Watch them go after Cole.

That's wrong.  Houston can sustain a gigantic payroll.  But I agree on Cole, I think they target a pitcher first.  Given my secondary Pirates tandem I am okay with that.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I also believe that Manny will walk at the end of 2018 but it will be because Buck will lobby and ownership will choose to maximize the current window until the last possible moment.  I think it will be a significant opportunity missed that will be felt over at least two seasons if not more.

If you look at the current cellar dwellers in baseball, pretty much all of them had a recent three or four year run of playoff contention. People act like Orioles fans should be grateful for their current run of success but what the Orioles have done isn't any different than the Padres from 2004-2007 or the Reds from 2010-2013 or the Brewers from 2008-2011. It's fun while it lasts but in the long run, it's just not particularly satisfying to have five good years sandwiched in between 20 years of losing. 

I was thinking about this earlier today. Where is Manny going to go? His act is not going to fly on a northeast team. If he was in Boston, NY, Philly and having this kind of season with some of the other stuff he does he would be getting booed. He needs to play in some place like Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Arizona, etc. The Dodgers dont need him. I guess Washington might be a possible spot, Texas maybe. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

I was thinking about this earlier today. Where is Manny going to go? His act is not going to fly on a northeast team. If he was in Boston, NY, Philly and having this kind of season with some of the other stuff he does he would be getting booed. He needs to play in some place like Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Arizona, etc. The Dodgers dont need him. I guess Washington might be a possible spot, Texas maybe. 

The Yankees would take him in a heartbeat, and they don't have anyone beating down the door at third.

Thing is, they're the rumored landing spot for Harper, and I doubt even NYY can afford both of those guys.

The Red Sox...well, there's a lot of bad vibes there right now, but it wouldn't be the first time some cash assuaged all grievances.

The Dodgers have an endless budget and, like the Yankees, don't necessarily have anyone staking a permanent claim to third.

57 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I still believe that we can trade Manny right now and contend, provided we make the RIGHT deal.   We need to get some Major League talent back now that's in the higher levels of a team with a good farm system.

The bigger question is, which team would be willing to deal for Manny?

Trading Machado is a difficult proposition, honestly... because he'd command such a price that it'd be difficult to find the right partner. In season, you're presumably trading him to a team in the race - which wouldn't want to give up many, if any, Major League-ready players. So you'd need a bundle and a half of prospects, and there are only so many teams that have those assets.

Swapping in the offseason is a bit easier. Still, there's never guaranteed return on value. I've brought this up before, but the most comparable player I can find to Machado, trade wise, is Miguel Cabrera when the Marlins shipped him to Detroit. Similar age, similar production to that point, very much a star player.

The Tigers sent Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller (yes, that Andrew Miller), Mike Rabelo, Eulogio De La Cruz, Dallas Trahern and Burke Badenhop to Miami for Cabrera and Willis.

Maybin and Miller were 1-2 in the Tigers' organization at that point, and everyone but Badenhop was Top 15. Maybin and Miller are also the only two that have had any impact at the MLB level. Miller, though now a stud relief pitcher, failed abysmally as the "future ace" he was supposed to be.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Manny just seems disinterested of late. i think the blown leads have gotten him down or he's allowing his poor start to drag him down. I know he'll be better, but if he doesn't give any indication that he wants to stay then you have to trade him after next season.

And this is the guy everyone is crying over?

3 hours ago, PressBoxOnline said:

ESPN's Buster Olney doesn't think the Orioles will re-sign Manny Machado before he becomes a free agent after the 2018 season, and he says the team should be talking about whether to trade him before this year's trade deadline.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/05/24/buster-olney-no-chance-orioles-re-sign-manny-machado

He must follow cumberbundy on the OH.

Manny just seems disinterested of late. i think the blown leads have gotten him down or he's allowing his poor start to drag him down. I know he'll be better, but if he doesn't give any indication that he wants to stay then you have to trade him after next season.

I don't think blown leads matter, hitters get down when they stink. As nice as it is to think he's that bothered by a loss, it's not realistic. We were in first on Sunday morning. 

I don't see that.   He's the same guy he's always been, he just isn't hitting that well at the moment.   

38 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

If you look at the current cellar dwellers in baseball, pretty much all of them had a recent three or four year run of playoff contention. People act like Orioles fans should be grateful for their current run of success but what the Orioles have done isn't any different than the Padres from 2004-2007 or the Reds from 2010-2013 or the Brewers from 2008-2011. It's fun while it lasts but in the long run, it's just not particularly satisfying to have five good years sandwiched in between 20 years of losing. 

Could our top 10 minor leaguers bring back Cole? Seems unlikely. We may be picking first in the very near future. 

In the first inning manny has 11 total bases this year. He has a slugging % of .297 and an ops under .670

He seems to come out dead every game, this confirms what I thought I had seen. Last year he slugged .580 and had a .950 OPS in the first. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd just like to say I am finding it very amusing how quickly folks are turning on Machado.

Throw a bat at someone?  No problem.

Charge the mound and start a brawl?  Sure.

Hit 220 while the team is struggling?  Uh oh! 

I think the vast majority is still behind Manny. I think he's overrated, but I'm well into the minority.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd just like to say I am finding it very amusing how quickly folks are turning on Machado.

Throw a bat at someone?  No problem.

Charge the mound and start a brawl?  Sure.

Hit 220 while the team is struggling?  Uh oh! 

You find it odd that fans would care more about production than charging a mound? That's strange. Os fans are rooting for their players to hit well, not for them to do more community service than anyone else. That is a strange post. 

Archived