Buster Olney: 'No Chance' Orioles Re-Sign Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

I am weary about so called blue chip prospects in a trade.  I recently read an article about the Phillies Astros blockbuster trade with Giles and none of the prospects did anything.  I haven't seen very many of those so called hauls amount to anything, but does sometimes. It worked for the Tigers and Yankees.

Yep, risk exists.

Do you think the current course is sustainable?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm just saying a cap doesn't guarantee parity.  I've noticed no one is touching the NBA. 

Because, more than the other sport, the NBA is a star driven league. There's no other sport where one man can turn a franchise completely around.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm just saying a cap doesn't guarantee parity.  I've noticed no one is touching the NBA. 

You are right in that there are few guarantees in life. Essentially, the cap eliminates the Haves and the Have-Nots, which is a huge problem in baseball.

The NBA is an entirely different beast. You only have a starting roster of 5. It only takes 2 or 3 special players to put you over the top.

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Because, more than the other sport, the NBA is a star driven league. There's no other sport where one man can turn a franchise completely around.

And yet they have a cap and nothing approaching parity.

No reason to just assume adding a cap to MLB will increase parity.  Might make it worse.

2 minutes ago, Rich Mac said:

You are right in that there are few guarantees in life. Essentially, the cap eliminates the Haves and the Have-Nots, which is a huge problem in baseball.

The NBA is an entirely different beast. You only have a starting roster of 5. It only takes 2 or 3 special players to put you over the top.

What the cap does is increase the money the owners pocket.  That, and not parity, is the reason the other leagues have caps.

1 minute ago, InsideCoroner said:

Schoop is awful at third. On a Jimmy Paredes level. He is definitely not headed to the left side of the infield anytime soon.

How many of his 51 games at third have you seen?  Was it just the 17 games he played in the majors?  Do you honestly think a sample size that small has much meaning?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What the cap does is increase the money the owners pocket.  That, and not parity, is the reason the other leagues have caps.

Parity is a side-effect of a salary cap. If shooting my sister in the right leg would create parity, I might think about it.

The owners will argue that small markets are not pocketing money and need the cap to survive. The players will argue that the owners are stealing money. It will never end. My feeling is that the owners deserve to make money from their ownership and the players make millions, so I have a minimum of sympathy for the union.

1 minute ago, Rich Mac said:

Parity is a side-effect of a salary cap. If shooting my sister in the right leg would create parity, I might think about it.

The owners will argue that small markets are not pocketing money and need the cap to survive. The players will argue that the owners are stealing money. It will never end. My feeling is that the owners deserve to make money from their ownership and the players make millions, so I have a minimum of sympathy for the union.

Please provide evidence.

Thank you.

If the O's don't make the playoffs then I think there is a good chance Machado gets traded in the offseason.  Even if the O's make the playoffs and don't get very far then I bet there's a decent chance.  I can't see him getting traded this season though unless the O's absolutely tank between now and July while at the same time Machado starts hitting much better.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please provide evidence.

Thank you.

I can't provide any more evidence to that than you can to this:

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's my opinion and I believe that the cap begins the process of leveling the playing field by not allowing teams with deep pockets to dredge the talent off the top of the player pool with financial assets rather than baseball acumen.

I can't provide any more evidence to that than you can to this:

https://priceonomics.com/are-salary-caps-for-professional-athletes-fair/

Salary caps, which exist in most leagues, are one of several mechanisms that allow a club of billionaire sports team owners to collectively control and suppress the wages of millionaire young athletes. How did this come about, and are they effective? Could leagues function without them? And under what pretenses can billionaire owners argue that they need to collectively suppress wages?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is this a one quote at a time pissing contest ;-)

I don't think we are going to change each other's minds.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/12661242/nhl-salary-cap-created-full-parity-league

"We're in the full effects now of a cap system, where teams in the past which would have always kept players just can't keep them all anymore," general manager Doug Armstrong of the Central Division-champion St. Louis Blues told ESPN.com Friday.

"There is competitive balance now," Armstrong added. "No question."

Is this a one quote at a time pissing contest ;-)

I don't think we are going to change each other's minds.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/12661242/nhl-salary-cap-created-full-parity-league

The NHL?  Seriously?  The goal of the NHL cap was to reign in player salaries that gone out of control as a result of all the expansion money flooding the market.  I don't even follow the NHL and I know that.

Parity may have followed but that wasn't the reason the cap was introduced.

https://spectorshockey.net/2014/12/some-painful-truths-about-the-nhl-salary-cap/

In the final season before the implementation of the salary cap, the average player salary was $1.8 million. In the first season under the cap, the average salary dropped to $1.3 million.

You should read the whole thing, it's interesting.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many of his 51 games at third have you seen?  Was it just the 17 games he played in the majors?  Do you honestly think a sample size that small has much meaning?

I saw the MLB games. SSS, but it was enough to say that the suggestion we simply slide Schoop over to third isn't simple at all. His footwork was particularly bad, a major issue which it can reasonably be assumed hasn't gotten much better from three years spent away from that position. 

Archived