Buster Olney: 'No Chance' Orioles Re-Sign Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Well, duh.

Wish the O's took the Evan Longoria approach. But they rarely sign their young players to long term extensions early enough. Adam Jones really is the only standout. 

But would Machado have wanted to do that? It takes two to tango, after all.

So long as the O's are in the hunt this July, I think it'd be somewhat foolish to move Machado before the offseason. But it's definitely something they should entertain between 2017/2018.

4 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Agreed. I would have loved to take the Longoria approach with Manny, but I had the feeling that might not be an option. Who knows, I'm not in the warehouse, but i'd be surprised if we at least had not put out some feelers about it through the years. 

20 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

So long as the O's are in the hunt this July, I think it'd be somewhat foolish to move Machado before the offseason. But it's definitely something they should entertain between 2017/2018.

That's certainly a good question. But it's also something the O's don't do otherwise. So we end up in situations where we overpay against ourselves (Davis?), just let guys walk after their value has been used up or have to salary dump them (Jim Johnson).

33 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

This is the worst kept secret in baseball if you ask me.  It is pretty obvious since they are spending a lot of their resources on other contracts, like, say, Chris Davis.

Can't use the Davis deal as an excuse not to keep Manny. 

36 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

That's certainly a good question. But it's also something the O's don't do otherwise. So we end up in situations where we overpay against ourselves (Davis?), just let guys walk after their value has been used up or have to salary dump them (Jim Johnson).

If they've ever had a candidate for it (since it's too late now for Manny), it's Schoop. Buck loves him, he's young, he's still developing...

35 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

This is the worst kept secret in baseball if you ask me.  It is pretty obvious since they are spending a lot of their resources on other contracts, like, say, Chris Davis.

That kind of thinking is flawed. I'd rather spend $320 million on one great player than five mediocre to average players (Davis, Hardy, Trumbo, O'Day, Ubaldo). I bet Manny will have a higher WAR than all of those guys combined over the duration of their contracts. 

5 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

That kind of thinking is flawed. I'd rather spend $320 million on one great player than five mediocre to average players (Davis, Hardy, Trumbo, O'Day, Ubaldo). I bet Manny will have a higher WAR than all of those guys combined over the duration of their contracts. 

One reason I wasn't that mad about the Davis deal.

I don't want to hear that nonsense. If you need the money to keep Manny don't pay Chris. 

Archived