TT: Statcast shows Orioles outfield defense is below average so far in 2017

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If it's an error, it's a chance, but if there's no error, it's not a chance.   Take a look at any outfielder's stats on BB-ref and you'll see that what I'm saying is true (chances = putouts + assists + errors).      I'm not saying it's logical.    For that matter, if an ourfielder makes an accurate throw that doesn't result in an out, that's not a chance.    But if he makes an inaccurate throw where a runner advances, that is an error and hence also a chance.    

Honestly I've never looked at it that closely before, but assumed all of those were chances. Seems like their error percentages should be much lower then.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per fangraphs, the O's outfield is at -4.3 UZR/150, 20th in MLB.   That's poor, but a big upgrade from last year's -11.2 UZR/150, dead last in MLB.      So yeah, the OF defense is still noticeably below average, but at least it's not a complete laughing stock like last year.

Little surprised on Jones.  In the Machado game (where Machado was on fire in the field) in Boston he made two catches that I would have thought were at least a 4.  Seems I have seen some others this year that have been somewhat similar.  

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So how would a hard hit ball at an outfielder that rolls under his glove be considered an error if it was not a chance? I'll ask Jim Hennemen.

Yes, that is a chance because of the error.

But if he just picks it up, it's no chance.

Yes, kind of odd.   Another reason fielding percentage is a poor reason to evaluate fielders.

EDIT:  Now I see Frobby beat me to the explanation.

Archived