Mike Wright's chance is coming

wildcard

Wright is averaging 6 innings per start and a 2.97 ERA over his last 5 starts.   With the way Jimenez, Tillman and Asher are pitching I have to think Wright will be with the O's before long.

The move today may be Verrett down, Ynoa up to give the team help in long relief but Wright's turn is coming\ and when its happens its probably as a starter.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wright is averaging 6 innings per start and a 2.97 ERA over his last 5 starts.   With the way Jimenez, Tillman and Asher are pitching I have to think Wright will be with the O's before long.

The move today may be Verrett down, Ynoa up to give the team help in long relief but Wright's turn is coming\ and when its happens its probably as a starter.

With all due respect, Asher had a bad start after doing pretty well two there times and the good relief work. He should definitely get more than a start or two.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

With all due respect, Asher had a bad start after doing pretty well two there times and the good relief work. He should definitely get more than a start or two.

OK, he gets his next chance vs the Red Sox on Friday replacing Ubaldo.   We will see how that goes.  I have not problem with that thought neither Asher or Ubaldo has pitched well vs the Red Sox in their careers.  Something will happen after that start.  Either Asher stays in the rotation or goes back to the pen where he has done well.

The O's probably are not ready to DL Tillman just yet.  But he is a couple of bad starts away from that happening. Hopefully he gets better.  But he is not looking like his arm strength is good enough to stay in the rotation for long.

I am just pointing out the Wright is pitching well at AAA and may be next in line to get a shot in the rotation whenever.

I am sure he will get a shot, but I wouldn't expect anything different in terms of results at the MLB level.  Generically speaking his overall numbers at AAA were better in 2016 than 2017 and better in 2015 than in 2016.  From a quick glance at his splits this year it looks he still can't get LHB out, doesn't get a lot of ground balls, and neither his StL or StS %s have changed. 

41 minutes ago, FuManchu said:

I am sure he will get a shot, but I wouldn't expect anything different in terms of results at the MLB level.  Generically speaking his overall numbers at AAA were better in 2016 than 2017 and better in 2015 than in 2016.  From a quick glance at his splits this year it looks he still can't get LHB out, doesn't get a lot of ground balls, and neither his StL or StS %s have changed. 

I am not seeing what you are seeing.

Mike has improved his numbers a lot in the May over April.   April ERA 5.79. May ERA 2.97.  His is doing a lot better with lefties (3.22 ERA) vs righties(4.88 ERA).  But that doesn't tell me much because it is year to date numbers.   It doesn't show what he did in May lefties vs righties. His GO/OA is almost even at .97.    

The number are tough to draw conclusions from other than his last 5 starts have been much better than his first 5.

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wright is the same old Wright.  He's really not pitching all that great down there.  Nothing to suggest that he's turned a corner or the light bulb has gone on.  Give me Ynoa, Aquino, and Kipper before Wright.  I feel like I know what I'm going to get with Wright.

Mike was not good in the majors last year.  He needs to improve.  May shows some improvement at AAA.  What it means to him in the majors is anyone guess.

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wright is the same old Wright.  He's really not pitching all that great down there.  Nothing to suggest that he's turned a corner or the light bulb has gone on.  Give me Ynoa, Aquino, and Kipper before Wright.  I feel like I know what I'm going to get with Wright.

We don't know that for sure.  Do we have any other info other than stats to look at?  He could be putting up similar stats with an entirely different approach.  Gotta think with this being his last option year, and being 27, that he's trying to learn some new stuff.  Let's look at some stats,

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=12586&position=P

K rate is up to 6.71 K/9 as opposed to 5.66 k/9 last year in AAA.

HR/FB % is down to 5.6% vs. 13% last year in AAA

The guy has 360 career AAA IP at a 3.60 ERA.  

He's a fly ball pitcher in OPACY.  He's eventually going to put together a solid run, just probably won't be on a team in the AL or AL East for that matter.  

58 minutes ago, FuManchu said:

Hate to say it, but I agree.  

He's baaaaaaack.  Finally, is this the time where he's in a relief role and just runs away with it?  We've been wanting to see him in this role for years.  This is his last year with an option.  He's got 360 AAA IP under his belt.  Maybe I'm being hopeful, but this could be different than just a regular shuttle guy like Aquino, Verret, Wilson, Nuno etc....

45 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Wright has had enough chances. He's not a major league starter.

I agree, but I see no reason why he can't come close to what Givens is.  Same FB/SL combo.  Givens does have a more deceptive arm angle.  

We talk about development.  Here's a great chance.  I know he's going to be viewed more as a LR at first, but he'll also be in the pen and working with Mills.  Look at the role Asher filled for us.  Wright could be that guy.  It's just a matter of getting results now.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He's baaaaaaack.  Finally, is this the time where he's in a relief role and just runs away with it?  We've been wanting to see him in this role for years.  This is his last year with an option.  He's got 360 AAA IP under his belt.  Maybe I'm being hopeful, but this could be different than just a regular shuttle guy like Aquino, Verret, Wilson, Nuno etc....

I am baffled by the belief that this guy is just going to turn up and be a lights out relief pitcher.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree, but I see no reason why he can't come close to what Givens is.  Same FB/SL combo.  Givens does have a more deceptive arm angle.  

We talk about development.  Here's a great chance.  I know he's going to be viewed more as a LR at first, but he'll also be in the pen and working with Mills.  Look at the role Asher filled for us.  Wright could be that guy.  It's just a matter of getting results now.  

Maybe? I just think Wright doesn't have the right mental makeup for it. 

Archived