Mike Wright's chance is coming

wildcard

12 minutes ago, Answerman said:

Wow...did anyone else see what I just saw. 

Wright could be this year's Givens. Just the break our bullpen needed.

i have a good feeling about him as the seventh inning guy.

He had a good day.     His delivery still seems prone to creating command issues, so we'll see how he does going forward.  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Answerman said:

Wow...did anyone else see what I just saw. 

Wright could be this year's Givens. Just the break our bullpen needed.

i have a good feeling about him as the seventh inning guy.

Nasty change up to Headley to end the game. 97-98 with movement. A slider and a change. Time to start putting up results. 

Don't discount Wright as a starter at some point.  Tillman is struggling.  Jimenez is in the pen.  The O's don't know what they have  with Asher in the rotation.   Wright is the next starter in line. He has been averaging 6 innings and 100 pitches in his last 5 starts at AAA.

Using Wright in the pen for a while until he can break into the rotation is a good fit for now.   This is Wright's chance to show he belongs in the majors.  2017 is his last option year.  He either has some success in the majors this year and finds a long term spot or is gone next year. He has the arm to help if he can keep his head in check.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

This is Wright's chance to show he belongs in the majors.  2017 is his last option year.  He either has some success in the majors this year and finds a long term spot or is gone next year. 

Or, like Britton, Tillman and Matusz, he comes to spring training out of options and earns a spot on the team.   

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Or, like Britton, Tillman and Matusz, he comes to spring training out of options and earns a spot on the team.   

O's need pitchers now.  It would be good to see some success this year.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's need pitchers now.  It would be good to see some success this year.

I'm not disagreeing with that.   Just saying this is NOT Wright's last chance.   Next spring is.   

I'm a Wright skeptic.    Even if he's in a relief role.    But he did well last new night and I'd be happy to be wrong about Wright.   

That is as good an inning and stuff as I have ever seen Wright throw for us.  When I walked in and just glanced at the TV, i thought it was Brach for a moment.  Now there was little pressure there, but still...he should get many more chances before ever seeing Tyler Wilson again. 

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nasty change up to Headley to end the game. 97-98 with movement. A slider and a change. Time to start putting up results. 

Exactly, he's hitting 98 with some movement, and he ended the game with a perfect changeup.  If you're a scout, isn't this exactly what you look for in a reliever?  He's a reliever - period - anyone who's studied him, has seen that.  Just because the organization has done a putrid job of keeping and acquiring minor league starters doesn't mean they should miss-use Wright.      

In the press conference Buck had some high praise for Wright.  Even said that he got a text from one of our scout's about how Wright looked in relief.  I'm guessing that was a "see what he can do in short relief."

Buck mentioned keeping guys at premium positions for as long as possible even though they internally talk about what other roles they could do.  He even singled out Mountcastle at SS as a guy we are keeping at a premium position for as long as possible.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In the press conference Buck had some high praise for Wright.  Even said that he got a text from one of our scout's about how Wright looked in relief.  I'm guessing that was a "see what he can do in short relief."

Buck mentioned keeping guys at premium positions for as long as possible even though they internally talk about what other roles they could do.  He even singled out Mountcastle at SS as a guy we are keeping at a premium position for as long as possible.  

I thought it was interesting that he brought up Mountcastle.   Pretty much a public admission that he's not likely to remain a SS.    We all know that, but I was a bit surprised he said it publicly.   

22 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Exactly, he's hitting 98 with some movement, and he ended the game with a perfect changeup.  If you're a scout, isn't this exactly what you look for in a reliever?  He's a reliever - period - anyone who's studied him, has seen that.  Just because the organization has done a putrid job of keeping and acquiring minor league starters doesn't mean they should miss-use Wright.      

Winning is the objective.  Right now Jimenez and Tillman don't look like the answer as starters.  They will give Tillman more chances but the O's better have alternatives.   Asher is a ?    Right now Wright may be the next starter in line.   Its all about winning this year.   So finding enough starters to get through he season is a priority. Placing blame can be a off season task.

Just now, Frobby said:

I thought it was interesting that he brought up Mountcastle.   Pretty much a public admission that he's not likely to remain a SS.    We all know that, but I was a bit surprised he said it publicly.   

It was kind of surprising.  But when do we see reporters ever ask Buck real questions?  They don't dare do it about the established vets.  Not really.  So talking asking real questions about a guy like Wright, actually got a real response from Buck.  Maybe if our reporters asked better questions we would get answers like this more often.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It was kind of surprising.  But when do we see reporters ever ask Buck real questions?  They don't dare do it about the established vets.  Not really.  So talking asking real questions about a guy like Wright, actually got a real response from Buck.  Maybe if our reporters asked better questions we would get answers like this more often.  

But if they do that Buck might make them look stupid.

Archived