Miranda v. Miley

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Miley has been decent this year, but this trade along with horrible Davies-Parra trade are two trades where it appears they Orioles mis evaluated there own potential in house starters. They felt Davies and Miranda were expendable because of Wilson and Wright. I'd say Duquette is either making poor decisions or getting bad advice or both.

I think this is the biggest issue.  Is it just Buck doesn't think these guys are nuggets?  We've seen it happen with Miranda, Triggs and Drake.  I think Davies is a different situation because you're always going to give up too much at the trade deadline.  We were thinking that there wasn't that much of a difference between Davies, Wright, and Wilson.  Obviously there is.  

Miranda, Triggs and Drake are the most worrisome.  Drake is exactly what we need right now, but Buck never liked the guy.  You could tell.  Miranda looked awesome the first time I saw him pitch in SEA last year.  He was throwing mid 90's with a good split.  It's concerning to me that last we gave Matusz, Tolliver, Duensing, and Hart all chances over Miranda to be the 2nd lefty out of the pen.  Triggs, I really don't remember him other than the fact that he got canned after he got shelled in a ST outing.  

I'm happy with having Miley.  I don't think that trade is breaking us.  The most concerning thing is that why wasn't Miranda given more of an opportunity last year.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think this is the biggest issue.  Is it just Buck doesn't think these guys are nuggets?  We've seen it happen with Miranda, Triggs and Drake.  I think Davies is a different situation because you're always going to give up too much at the trade deadline.  We were thinking that there wasn't that much of a difference between Davies, Wright, and Wilson.  Obviously there is.  

Miranda, Triggs and Drake are the most worrisome.  Drake is exactly what we need right now, but Buck never liked the guy.  You could tell.  Miranda looked awesome the first time I saw him pitch in SEA last year.  He was throwing mid 90's with a good split.  It's concerning to me that last we gave Matusz, Tolliver, Duensing, and Hart all chances over Miranda to be the 2nd lefty out of the pen.  Triggs, I really don't remember him other than the fact that he got canned after he got shelled in a ST outing.  

I'm happy with having Miley.  I don't think that trade is breaking us.  The most concerning thing is that why wasn't Miranda given more of an opportunity last year.  

I don't have an issue with Miley per se. I just think we could have gotten him for someone who didn't turn out to be a starting major league pitcher. Seattle wanted to dump him and Miranda was probably the best they could get for him. I don't know whether they targeted him or not, but I can't imagine the Orioles evaluated Miranda as a big league starter and then traded him away for an older, more expensive version of him. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What exactly is Drake doing in MIL that makes him exactly what we need right now?

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't have an issue with Miley per se. I just think we could have gotten him for someone who didn't turn out to be a starting major league pitcher. Seattle wanted to dump him and Miranda was probably the best they could get for him. I don't know whether they targeted him or not, but I can't imagine the Orioles evaluated Miranda as a big league starter and then traded him away for an older, more expensive version of him. 

We were just a desperate team that needed a SP and wanted to go with a "known" quantity versus trying an unknown guy from our system.  That's a bad recipe for trading around the deadline.  

The troubling thing is this  http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA201607030.shtml

This is the game Miranda made his MLB debut and his only MLB appearance before the trade deadline.  Us and SEA got to see the same guy.  We decided to not even pitch him again in relief and to trade him for Miley.  They decided to trade for him.  

Look at the play by play, Miranda was cruising then gave up 4 straight hits to Cano, Cruz, Seager, Lind.  For some reason we just didn't see it in him or got real desperate for a SP.  I don't have as much as a problem of trading him as I do the fact that we didn't give him anymore chances.  Instead Ubaldo was in the rotation and Logan Ondrusek was our LOOGY.  

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

What exactly is Drake doing in MIL that makes him exactly what we need right now?

Sign me up for a RH reliever that can go more than one inning and have a 4.64 ERA.  Plus he has an outing of 0 IP and 4 ER under his belt, that'll skew some stats.  Gotta look at the big picture,

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=drakeol01&t=p&year=2017

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sign me up for a RH reliever that can go more than one inning and have a 4.64 ERA.  Plus he has an outing of 0 IP and 4 ER under his belt, that'll skew some stats.  Gotta look at the big picture,

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=drakeol01&t=p&year=2017

He's below replacement level. We have enough of those guys. That's the picture that most interests me.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:12 PM, SteveA said:

And you do have to factor in ballparks as well.   If they were to put up near equal stats that would be advantage Miley, IMO.

Camden Yards has been more hitter-friendly than Safeco Field this year by at least one measure:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

ERA+. which takes ballpark factors into account, has Wade Miley with an ERA+ of 98 in 22 starts since joining the Orioles, including an ERA+ of 151 in 11 starts this year. Ariel Miranda has an ERA of 113 in 23 appearances, including 22 starts, since joining Seattle, including an ERA+ of 110 in 12 starts this year.

8 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Drake got replaced by mike Wright, who I honestly think could be a good relief option. He's a 1-2 inning guy. And he has options, which drake didn't have

If Wright can throw upper 90's and throw off hitters with his change-up, he can have a nice career as a relief pitcher. 

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Wright can throw upper 90's and throw off hitters with his change-up, he can have a nice career as a relief pitcher for the Mariners. 

FTFY

Go Big Mike, ECU Pirate!  And now back to Miranda vs. Miley, an alliterative alternative.

Archived