O's have the starters with the #5 and #8 best ERA in the AL

wildcard

Looking at underlying statistics both would be labelled as over producers.  That said, they have been saying the same thing about Keuchel.  Career season are made by outliers that never self correct, and I would say anyone who say they know what kind of pitcher Bundy is going to be going forward is discounting how much data it takes to establish a baseline.

What is perhaps most impressive is that the Orioles team ERA going into the weekend was roughly equivalent to Boston's despite the money they are putting into that rotation and the presence of Sale.

It's hard to tell what will happen with either of them as the season progresses.     Bundy's on pace to throw 210+ innings after throwing 109.2 last year.     Will the team really let that happen, and will his effectiveness deteriorate as the innings pile up?

Miley's ERA does not match his WHIP, which is high mostly due to an uncharacteristicly high walk total.    His ERA is bound to rise if he keeps walking a lot of guys, but maybe the walks won't continue.   Then again, maybe the low H/9 won't continue, either.    

Overall, I'm more convinced that Bundy's performance is "real" than Miley's, but you do have to wonder about the workload issue.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's hard to tell what will happen with either of them as the season progresses.     Bundy's on pace to throw 210+ innings after throwing 109.2 last year.     Will the team really let that happen, and will his effectiveness deteriorate as the innings pile up?

Miley's ERA does not match his WHIP, which is high mostly due to an uncharacteristicly high walk total.    His ERA is bound to rise if he keeps walking a lot of guys, but maybe the walks won't continue.   Then again, maybe the low H/9 won't continue, either.    

Overall, I'm more convinced that Bundy's performance is "real" than Miley's, but you do have to wonder about the workload issue.  

Some of Miley's walks are walks.  Some are pitch arounds.  He is veteran enough to know who he wants to pitch to.     He would rather walk a guy then give up a homer or a RBI hit if he thinks he can get the next guy.  O'Day does that all time.

Bundy is a strange case.  Yes he only pitched 109 inning last year but this June 27th it will be 4 years since his TJ surgery.   Really the TJ surgery should not be a major fact.   Its does he have the arm strength to continue to pitch well and not get fatigued like he did last year.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the TJ surgery per se.    Just the general jump in workload.   I must say, to me Bundy is pitching more but laboring less.    But even so, it's hard to imagine his innings are going to jump by 100 in a single season.   

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Some of Miley's walks are walks.  Some are pitch arounds.  He is veteran enough to know who he wants to pitch to.     He would rather walk a guy then give up a homer or a RBI hit if he thinks he can get the next guy.  O'Day does that all time.

Bundy is a strange case.  Yes he only pitched 109 inning last year but this June 27th it will be 4 years since his TJ surgery.   Really the TJ surgery should not be a major fact.   Its does he have the arm strength to continue to pitch well and not get fatigued like he did last year.

I think folks tend to gloss over the shoulder calcification issue he had.

He's a singular case in that regard and who knows what caused it or if it might reoccur.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I'm not worried about the TJ surgery per se.    Just the general jump in workload.   I must say, to me Bundy is pitching more but laboring less.    But even so, it's hard to imagine his innings are going to jump by 100 in a single season.   

Amen

Archived