Do We Sell?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, pwhite said:

We need to hope Britton can come back from his injury and have a few good few outings to show he is healthy. We could get a mammoth haul for him.

I think that even if he comes back strong his value will have significantly diminished over what he would have returned during the offseason.

I understand the frustration and desire to sell - but I'm looking through prospect lists, who exactly are we expecting the O's to get for Machado and/or Britton? Take a look at the top ten prospects in baseball (according to Baseball America) and their trade eligibility:

1. Andrew Benintendi - Really want to see Machado as a Red Sox?

2. Yoan Moncada - White Sox are rebuilding.

3. Dansby Swanson - Not looking great right now.

4. Alex Reyes - Tommy John.

5. Gleyber Torres - Possible, but again - don't really see Angelos agreeing to a BOS/NYY trade.

6. Austin Meadows - Pirates are rebuilding.

7. Cody Bellinger - Possible.

8. Amed Rosario - Mets will likely be deadline sellers.

9. Nick Senzel - Don't expect the Reds to be buyers.

10. Willy Adames - Don't see the Rays trading away young talent for expensive talent.

The O's shouldn't just sell to sell. They still have a year and a half left of control on these players.They should be getting back players who are going to be above-average major leaguers. I think it's important to think about what the O's would need to get in return to feel satisfied. And not just, "Prospects." But, specific players.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

You're assuming Bundy starts in his spot for the next 4 years?     That's a big IF.   If I am rebuilding, I listen to offers on Bundy.    If they Yankkes want to give me Gleyber Torres and their top 2-3 pitching prospects, I'm listening.

You can always listen. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Smith, Kim, Castillo should all go. Whether they should or not I don't see them dealing Manny. See what market is for Miley and Brach. Britton injury will make it hard. 

If they need to they should move Davis to 3rd to end season to give Manny a head start at SS going into 2018.  

Castillo should stay - if anything, I'd try to extend him - even though he is 30.  Good catchers are hard to replace, and even if Sisco develops well, it's a huge benefit to have 2.  It's Manny and Britton that should be traded.  Everyone else should either be kept or isn't gonna get you a whole lot.    

When was the last time this team "sold" anything? It took 14 years for Angelos to OK a rebuild after bs'ing the fans with "this team could be good!" with a bunch of old washed band aids, and sitting on the fence trying to slap a "team" together year after year. If you think they are selling with a .500 team you have a screw loose. He is going to ride this thing right into the ground as usual trying to keep butts in the seats, no matter what the long term collateral damage.

And all you people advocating trading Manny will never get it. You trade all the garbage around him and pay him, because if he goes the entire organizational stability for the next 10 years goes right with him. Yeah that is a great plan, trade one of the best players on baseball who could be here for the next 10-12 years as the face of the franchise. Genius move right there.

4 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

And all you people advocating trading Manny will never get it. You trade all the garbage around him and pay him, because if he goes the entire organizational stability for the next 10 years goes right with him. Yeah that is a great plan, trade one of the best players on baseball who could be here for the next 10-12 years as the face of the franchise. Genius move right there.

And if he doesn't want to extend?  Why would Manny, with one year to free agency, sign on for a rebuild?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How often do teams let older, expensive players walk, collecting draft picks along the way?

Not sure it's analogous but look at some of the most successful franchises in other sports like the Patriots.  Their M.O. has always been that it's better to trade away a player one year too early that one too late.  They have refused to pay for overpriced and potentially close to over the hill talent be it other teams free agents or their own.  They will often trade away those whom many consider to be integral pieces during the middle of the season.  Another example has been the San Antonio Spurs who have built around a core and have moved players in and out depending on need.  Again another team that has not, for the most part, thrown big money at other teams free agents.  Both of these teams, online the O's at times, do not bid against themselves for talent that will have a questionable team impact - see Davis.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And if he doesn't want to extend?  Why would Manny, with one year to free agency, sign on for a rebuild?

They aren't even talking to him about a contract much less offering him one! So it is going to be quite hard to know what he wants. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you put 300m on the table and make him turn it down.(And after a "down" year would probably be the perfect time to do it) If he does, then fine go ahead and trade him. But a simple conversation might have to take place to figure that out. And from all reports even that isn't happening. But mark my words if he walks out that door one way or the other, this whole team will go right back down the drain all over again. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, it sure is looking like Mancini wouldn't have been able to replace Trumbo or Davis.  Hey look at that, two guys that could have been turned into first round picks.

Let's see.   Hobgood, Matusz,  Rowell, Beato, Snyder, Townsend, Loewen,  Chris Smith,  Fontenot, Bass.  All O's 1st rounders that didn't meet expectations.    None on them were better than Davis or Trumbo.

19 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

8 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

They aren't even talking to him about a contract much less offering him one! So it is going to be quite hard to know what he wants. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you put 300m on the table and make him turn it down.(And after a "down" year would probably be the perfect time to do it) If he does, then fine go ahead and trade him. But a simple conversation might have to take place to figure that out. And from all reports even that isn't happening. But mark my words if he walks out that door one way or the other, this whole team will go right back down the drain all over again. 

This is going to happen with or without Manny only with Manny, the Orioles have less financial flexibility. It's already circling the drain and Manny is still here. Machado is going to stabilize the Orioles and prevent them from going down the drain about as much as A-Rod stabilized and prevented the Rangers from the same thing. It's foolish. Machado is one man on a mostly average team. He cannot and will not save this organization. He helps it more by being traded not by emulating A-Rod and the Rangers.

Do we sell? No. Duquette won't unless this club is 10 games out of any spot come the ASB.

Should we? Yes. This isn't a playoff team. We are arguably the worst team in the division. And we should be trading every valuable asset that isn't going to be part of the core after 2018.

Trade Manny, Miley and Trumbo.

DFA Ubaldo.

Once Britton is healthy, get him some time and then trade him, too.

This club isn't going anywhere and the future looks worse. When you routinely trade draft picks and sign players with draft picks attached to them and not draft well...this is what happens. 

Archived