What Will The Orioles Do With Wade Miley?

PressBoxOnline

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

When you look at the teams that have given up on Miley, it's shocking that we'd give him a chance.  Well, maybe not  shocking that we'd give a pitcher with a pulse a chance but....

I'm sure Boston chortled when we signed him, though.  

Ubaldo, Miley & Gallardo are guys they'd give up firsts for us to sign. Unfortunately we gave up the firsts and a pitcher that's cheap and better than all 3. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, esmd said:

So putting aside the crying over spilled milk, what do they do with Miley?  I don't think he has any trade value, so it seems like he pitches through the remainder of the season, and they either pick up the option, or don't and he becomes a FA.

On the face of it, declining the option seems like a no brainer, given him recent performance and the cost.  That said, look at the cost of even mediocre pitching these days.  I think 12 million is a poor value for Miley, but who else are you going to get that's better, and what would they cost?  I'd like to see them make a run at signing Alex Cobb and/or Jeremy Hellickson, and I could see both of them being paid way more than 12M, especially Cobb.

At this point, you're looking at at least two holes in your rotation next year with Jimenez and Tillman likely departing.  Maybe they bring back Tillman on the cheap for a 1yr deal, but with his shoulder issues, I think you have to look at him as depth at this point, and not count on him to be one of your starting five.  Picking up Miley's option might be an (expensive) insurance policy to protect them against missing out on FAs to fill the holes in the rotation.

Careful, now. There are at least a dozen regular members of this board who literally have no other setting than "crying over spilled milk."

4 hours ago, esmd said:

So putting aside the crying over spilled milk, what do they do with Miley?  I don't think he has any trade value, so it seems like he pitches through the remainder of the season, and they either pick up the option, or don't and he becomes a FA.

On the face of it, declining the option seems like a no brainer, given him recent performance and the cost.  That said, look at the cost of even mediocre pitching these days.  I think 12 million is a poor value for Miley, but who else are you going to get that's better, and what would they cost?  I'd like to see them make a run at signing Alex Cobb and/or Jeremy Hellickson, and I could see both of them being paid way more than 12M, especially Cobb.

At this point, you're looking at at least two holes in your rotation next year with Jimenez and Tillman likely departing.  Maybe they bring back Tillman on the cheap for a 1yr deal, but with his shoulder issues, I think you have to look at him as depth at this point, and not count on him to be one of your starting five.  Picking up Miley's option might be an (expensive) insurance policy to protect them against missing out on FAs to fill the holes in the rotation.

Unless Wade really, really rallies at some point in the second half, I think you decline the option. I don't envision any team paying him $12 million next year given what he's degenerated into. All of his numbers are heading the wrong direction.

5 hours ago, esmd said:

He might be attractive for a team that didn't expect to be in but are hanging around like the Angels. They might want a veteran guy with a reputation for eating innings and they don't really have the farm to afford anything.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Unless Wade really, really rallies at some point in the second half, I think you decline the option. I don't envision any team paying him $12 million next year given what he's degenerated into. All of his numbers are heading the wrong direction.

This is pretty much my line of thinking.  If he rebounds to pitch really well in the 2nd half, they probably pick it up.  That's obviously a risk, in that he could then revert back to 1st half Wade.  Problem is, if they don't pick it up, they've got to fill 3/5ths of the rotation, and that's a tall order.  If I were DD, I'd decline the option and put that 12 million towards trying to sign Cobb and Hellickson, and hope to land a SP prospect in the Machado trade.  Even that leaves them exposed though, be it from injury to one of those 5, or ineffectiveness, and that's assuming they do trade Machado.  If they have delusions of being sellers, I don't know how they fill out the rotation.  You're talking big time FA expenditures at that point, because they sure don't seem to have anyone in the minors that can be counted on.

Of course, maybe PGA loses his mind and they sign Arrietta, Cobb, and Hellickson to go with Gausman and Bundy, lol.  Hey, I can dream, right?

46 minutes ago, esmd said:

This is pretty much my line of thinking.  If he rebounds to pitch really well in the 2nd half, they probably pick it up.  That's obviously a risk, in that he could then revert back to 1st half Wade.  Problem is, if they don't pick it up, they've got to fill 3/5ths of the rotation, and that's a tall order.  If I were DD, I'd decline the option and put that 12 million towards trying to sign Cobb and Hellickson, and hope to land a SP prospect in the Machado trade.  Even that leaves them exposed though, be it from injury to one of those 5, or ineffectiveness, and that's assuming they do trade Machado.  If they have delusions of being sellers, I don't know how they fill out the rotation.  You're talking big time FA expenditures at that point, because they sure don't seem to have anyone in the minors that can be counted on.

Of course, maybe PGA loses his mind and they sign Arrietta, Cobb, and Hellickson to go with Gausman and Bundy, lol.  Hey, I can dream, right?

Given that a fire sale doesn't seem particularly likely, no matter how much folks may way to see one, filling the rotation for 2018 will certainly present a challenge. But it'd be hard to be worse than what they've run out there this year.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

Given that a fire sale doesn't seem particularly likely, no matter how much folks may way to see one, filling the rotation for 2018 will certainly present a challenge. But it'd be hard to be worse than what they've run out there this year.

I was around for the last dark age and one thing I learned, it can always get worse.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was around for the last dark age and one thing I learned, it can always get worse.

I was, too. And dark it was. Even from those years, though, it'd be tough to get worse than the numbers Tillman, Jimenez and Miley have combined for this season.

Not impossible... but difficult.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

He might be attractive for a team that didn't expect to be in but are hanging around like the Angels. They might want a veteran guy with a reputation for eating innings and they don't really have the farm to afford anything.

Maybe they'll trade us Parker Bridwell for him.

7 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I was, too. And dark it was. Even from those years, though, it'd be tough to get worse than the numbers Tillman, Jimenez and Miley have combined for this season.

Not impossible... but difficult.

Oh yes. You can Sign Ryan Howard. Instead of Jay Payton.

Archived