Angel Hernandez Sues MLB

Can_of_corn

https://www.law360.com/sports/articles/941017/umpire-sues-mlb-claiming-discrimination-manager-vendetta

A Cuban-born umpire filed a discrimination lawsuit against Major League Baseball in Ohio federal court on Monday, claiming the league routinely fails to promote minorities and that Chief Baseball Officer Joe Torre has held a personal gripe against him from his days as the Yankees’ manager.

I'm thinking that if you want to get promoted the first thing you should do is be good at your job.

"The suit claims that Hernandez has received positive evaluations from the league. He is also one of MLB’s most unpopular umpires with the players. Numerous player surveys have ranked him near the bottom of the league’s umpires, most recently in 2010 when 22% of players surveyed by ESPN called Hernandez the worst umpire in the league. (C.B. Bucknor received 37% of the vote; Joe West, who worked the 2016 World Series, received 35% of the vote.)" - Sports Illustrated

"“Cuban-born Angel Hernandez, 55, states in his suit that he has been passed over several times for a chance to work the World Series despite high marks on evaluations." - Total Pro Sports

I'm more concerned about this receiving high marks on his evaluations. Typically, I'm someone who rolls their eyes when fans complain about umpires, both for or against the O's, but I will say that I am usually conscious of Hernandez calling a game. Usually there are enough questionable calls that you immediately take notice that it is him, behind the plate or in the field. Also, when he is in the field, there are enough calls missed, usually critical calls, that you find yourself saying, "now who the heck made that ca-...oh, Angel Hernandez, of course."

I really couldn't imagine a credible crew being led by him. He can use race or nationality all he wants, and I am not saying MLB's World Series crews are always led by the best, but I couldn't imagine him receiving the honor.

Edited by thatbearflies

• 1 year later...

Hernandez should be fired. (CB Bucknor as well) I watched a game this year where 3 pitches were all in the strike zone and not one was called a strike. I was also watching a Twins/Royals game a few days ago and this happened, classic Hernandez.

D9MLkHAXsAU8_jv.jpg

During a game between the yanks and the jays, he called this a ball.

D8qtnqVX4AAJsVu.jpg

D5xu03AW0AEH6ux.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

Hernandez should be fired. (CB Bucknor as well) I watched a game this year where 3 pitches were all in the strike zone and not one was called a strike. I was also watching a Twins/Royals game a few days ago and this happened, classic Hernandez.

D9MLkHAXsAU8_jv.jpg

During a game between the yanks and the jays, he called this a ball.

D8qtnqVX4AAJsVu.jpg

D5xu03AW0AEH6ux.jpg

And this was in 2013 before NY would make the decision.  So this call was by Angel Hernandez himself.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

He lost.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31172557/umpire-angel-hernandez-loses-race-discrimination-lawsuit-mlb

"The explicit reason MLB offers -- that according to Torre, Hernandez 'has not demonstrated the leadership ability and situation-management skills in critical high-pressure roles on a consistent basis' -- is presented in clear and specific terms," the judge said.

• Thanks 1