The O's have plenty to trade

wildcard

5 minutes ago, billw76 said:

Trading for a #3 or #4 type starter gets us nowhere, it's the same kind of trade DD has been making pretty much every deadline, besides Miller the deals really haven't helped all that much.

I think this type of trade would be particularly insulting this year. To pick up a starter like that, before even considering who we could potentially give up, would be absolutely pointless. Who is he replacing? Ubaldo? Miley? Tillman? Gausman? I'm sure he is banking on Tillman and Gausman finding themselves, but you would still only be (making an assumption it's an upgrading) upgrading one spot in your rotation when the EOR is terrible and the TOR has been inconsistent and terrible as well. 

It's hard to even imagine us really being buyers this season, knowing Duquette's vision. I would love to be in one of his meetings to know who he is even currently considering. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Heim was hitting 643 OPS in A+ ball when he was traded and he was a 4th round draft chice.   There is not comparison to Stewart there.

The return of investment on their own in a July 31st deadline deal is the comparison. Stewart alone isn't bringing in a top name. 

34 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Sisco most definitely will.

Stewart? Definitely not much. Certainly seems like a bust.

Sisco is very debatable. First you'd have to find a team who truly believes Sisco can stick behind the plate because his bat wont play anywhere else. If he's not behind the plate he's a 4th outfielder best case scenario. That probably drastically reduces the number of bidders or how much they're willing to pay because it's added risk. I don't think you'd get the same haul as say a starting pitcher ranked 57th.

5 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Machado will not be here after 2018. He will be in another uniform unless we trade him or extend him. He is the biggest cloud of uncertainty that hangs over this organization right now as I noted recently. This situation needs to be brought to a conclusion ASAP for the long term health of this franchise.

I said the same a 6 weeks ago, we need to deal or dog and do it assp. Make up our mind and lock him up or get something substantial for him.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

The Nationals and Tigers have had trouble with their pen for years.  Its not that easy to have a great pen.  

Their incompetence doesn't mean it's all that difficult. Washington has been impossibly atrocious when evaluating their options in the pen. The most talented RP in baseball is someone they gave to the Pirates for a decent rental 10 months ago. They traded a guy who throws 98 and just shut out Boston for Pap. Those are Duq type of moves that put a team in an unnecessarily awful position. Rivero & Pivetta would leave the rest of the NL envious in the 8th & 9th. 

Aiken, Sedlock, Scott and a couple others could easily be great RPs if we don't deal them for crap. Heck Bridwell looks like he has the stuff to be a nice RP. That's just not that difficult to find. We nearly gave up on Britton, we found Brach in a rare good deal, we moved givens from SS. 

Get starters whose floor is RP and high end position players for any RP someone needs to make up for their failure to find one already. Britton to Houston or Washington is perfect.

5 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Couldn't agree more. This has been my position since the end of 2017. This matter should have been settled over the winter.

I am surprised you could translate that monstrosity of a post. It's early in birdland USA. 

We appear to approach Machado as a problem rather than an opportunity. When we took him I remember reading he was a 15 HR guy - but he became an mvp candidate, that's something you celebrate in a trade if you can't afford him. I love Manny but these are just assets, the objective is to win a title, holding on to Manny for 18 more months isn't going to get us a title, it should be very simple but emotions get involved. Make him your best offer, let him decline, get great prospects, wish him well. His return on investment should be incredible - it's nearly impossible to mess this up. The baseball gods smiled on us, you hear kids name Manny Machado as their fav mlb player in the little league WS, it's been a long time since I had heard an orioles name from the kids there. I'd have done my best to make this move last winter, but I would rather sign him than deal him, I think he will be an mvp candidate 5+ times, but he looks like crap over the last year. 

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yes, the O's need starting pitching.  But they have some very good players to trade to get a good return.

Britton - A healthy Britton is worth every bit as much as the Yankees got for  Andrew Miller.   Two 1st round prospects plus two other players.   The O's can trade Brittton to a contender for prospects and then send the prospects to a 2nd division team for a starter or two.   The O's can afford  to trade  Britton because they have Brach, O'Day and Givens at the back end of the pen.  And the O's know that Boras will see to it that Britton goes through free agency after 2018 where Britton gets a five year contract that the O's ownership have  no interest in giving to a pitcher.

Sisco -  Baseball American has Sisco as the #57 prospect.   That is worth something.good in return.   Sisco is young, can hit for average and over time probably hits for power if he is not in Harbor Park but really does not have the arm to catch in the majors.   That probably makes him a left fielder at some point.   The O's have Mancini, Hays, Mullins,  Jones maybe Mountcastle all ahead of Sisco in the outfield.   The can probably extend Castillo, have Joseph and Wynns is a good defensive catcher who  looks like he will hit.  So trade Sisco for starting pitching.

Stwwart - Is a 1st round pick that is hitting for an 800 OPS (almost) at AA at 23 years young..      Teams pay for a prospect like that.   He is behind,Mancini, Hays, Mullins , Jones and Mountcastle. Agains go get a starter.

I think the O's can add starting pitching with really not hurting  the minor league talent that will make to the majors with the O's.   Pitchers like Harvey, Sedlock, Akin, Scott, and AJ Hall can stay in the system.

I think the O's have enough to trade to get starter help.  Dan says the O's aren't sellers.  Well actually with these trades the O's are buyers.  JMO

This is exactly what I worry about. Trading off our good prospects for a so called quick fix.  Quick fixes don't work.

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

I said the same a 6 weeks ago, we need to deal or dog and do it assp. Make up our mind and lock him up or get something substantial for him.

The owner won't let DD trade Manny now. IMO I am afraid this will drag out. 

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

You want to spend $30 mil per year on his salary? It comes down to economics and the fact you have a franchise next door that has shown it will spend at all costs to win a World Series. Angelos has never shown that in my opinion. If you let Machado walk for a draft pick, it would be beyond stupid. It would be an irresponsible and wreckless way to run a franchise. The Angelos family has a big decision to make and they need to make it soon.

We are talking about the Angelos family and that's the problem. I'm fully expecting another move or moves at the deadline that won't improve the club and further weaken the farm. In the off season it will be more of the same kind of moves as the past and we will go into 2018 with a roster that's not much different than it is now. I don't see Angelos paying Machado or Britton and after next season they will walk for a comp pick.

The front office needs to be pro-active for once and think about the long term health of the franchise, not just our current window to win which has probably closed.

4 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

You want to spend $30 mil per year on his salary? It comes down to economics and the fact you have a franchise next door that has shown it will spend at all costs to win a World Series. Angelos has never shown that in my opinion. 

The Orioles' payroll is higher than the Nats' this year, and was last year as well.    

Archived