Bedard gets a talking to

blueberryale77

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Erik does after his starts. You are making Erik to be like Kenny Rogers with the media. Some people DO NOT want to be famous. Some poeple DO NOT feel comfortable infront of cameras. If Erik doesn't want to talk to the media, he shouldn't have too. If there is something in his contract that says he has to talk to the media, well, I hope he says the most off-topic comments unitil he reaches his quota.

He is paid to be a pitcher, not a salesman.

The smartest thing I've read from you on this board. Good job.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he doesn't want to be famous, why did he choose a profession in which every act he does as a professional is broadcast on television, potentially nationwide? Why does he choose to perform in front of tens of thousands of people every time he goes to work?

Part of the problem here is the word "famous" in my opinion. There is

a difference between being "famous" and being a "celebrity." One type

gets there on merit, and the other seeks it out at every chance they

get. I have no problem with Bedard not wanting to be a "celebrity."

His actions on the field speak more than loud enough to me, as a fan,

than anything he could say afterwards. I respect the guys here that

run the site and are part of the media, and I respect that they are defending

themselves and their professions. I just disagree with it.

Elliot

I look at this as something similar to the facial hair policy that the Orioles have. Having a beard doesn't affect your play...talking to the press doesn't affect your play...but if the manager says no beards, then you don't grow a beard...if the manager says don't skip out until you've talked to the press, then you don't skip out.

Whether its in a contract or not, all organizations have policies, all managers have rules.

A pschological problem? Ever listen to Bob Dylan talk to the media? Huge difference from doing something your the best in the world at than talking about it infront of cameras.

I don't get the Dylan analogy. It always seemed to me he did it on purpose. It's part of his act, or self-created mystique (and was part of the times). He behaved that way even when no cameras were around and there were only print media taking notes on a pad.

In fact, there are no cameras around in the clubhouse either. Bedard stiffs reporters when they're standing around in a hallway.

As for the distinction between fame/celebrity, that got lost a long time ago, I think. The words are synonymous in professional sports.

As for the distinction between fame/celebrity, that got lost a long time ago, I think. The words are synonymous in professional sports.

Sorry, I cannot agree with that. They might have chosen to be in the

public eye, but they have not chosen to chase the spotlight. There is

a great difference. Millar is a celebrity...because of his actions in front

of a camera. Bedard is famous because he can throw a ball 95 miles an

hour and drop a devastating hook.

Take, for instance, the difference between someone like Tom Cruise

and Edward Norton: Cruise seeks out the spotlight, and is a celebrity.

Norton, on the other hand, is famous because he is talented (now, I am

not saying that Cruise is not talented, or Millar either in the example

above, but rather that their actions outside of their profession dictate

a difference between the two terms).

Elliot

Ever seen Bedard standing around talking with fans and signing autographs? Ever heard of anything he's done in the community?

I haven't. It's not just the press he looks down on.

As I said in the other thread: I have no idea whether Bedard is nice to fans who approach him off the field or not. And, I have no idea whether he does community acitvities or not. Every time I see any publicity about O's doing something in the community, it is either Brian Roberts or Melvin Mora. Does that mean 23 guys are doing nothing? Or does it mean they are doing things but they are not publicized? I do not know one way or another.

We've established that Bedard is uncomfortable talking to the press. And I think it is fair to say it has gone a bit beyond that at times -- that he has been downright rude on at least a few occasions. That's bad, and hopefully Trembely's message will get through to him. So far as I know, it's the first time one of his superiors has told him that his treatment of the press is not OK. So let's see how or if his behavior changes in that respect.

However, I will need a lot more information before concluding that the guy is a jerk in general. Are there reports that his teammates don't like him? Are there specific instances where he has been rude to members of the general public? Do the Orioles' community relations people complain that Bedard doesn't do his share? I would need that kind of information, rather than just "have you ever seen him talkng with fans?" Also, I wonder if he had a couple of very bad experiences with the media (as Eddie Murray did) that have caused him to sour permanently on the media.

Please understand -- I'm not saying he isn't a jerk. Just saying I need more information. And not just because he is a great pitcher and I want to rationalize why I should like him. I just believe in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, and then some.

Agree with Frobby's post above, and add that on several occasions this year we've seen Erik laughing and horsing around with teammates in the clubhouse. I've never really heard teammates say anything bad about him either. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to this.

Where does it say that players HAVE to talk to the media?

If Bedard doesn't want to talk to the team, fine. If the O's talk to Bedard and want him to talk to the media, fine. But don't "lecture" him about it and then go blabber to the press about how he was lectured and that it won't happen again.

I don't think it's that big a deal but I still don't like it.

I think all of the media in town will back up Tony's comments and I think Roch has made similar comments. How many comments from different reporters in town do we need? It is what it is. If Bedard had a master's degree it would not give him the right to stiff the media or act indifferent around them. I think Trembley's relationship with Bedard in the future will be worth watching.

Brian Roberts will be the next player spoken to if he jogs down to first anymore. If he can steal 25 bases he obviously don't have a foot or hamstring problem. I like Roberts a lot and appreciate his community efforts but don't understand his jogging to first. Trembley will correct this in the near future.

One thing that hasn't been pointed out in this thread is the following quote

[bedard] is real shy. He's just a real private person," Trembley said. "He competes like the dickens. He doesn't understand the nuances, that [the media] can help him. I think he understands that a little clearer today."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes29jun29,0,3735851.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

This shows is was more of a teaching and trying to help him understand the role he needs to have with the media.

I will say, Eric was one of the least friendly pitchers at spring training. By far the nicest were Burres and Guthrie, but Trax was pretty cool.

When I wrote for the local paper, I always found that the best quotes about a solid-performing pitcher would come from his catcher. Ask a pitcher how he did, and he'd say, "I felt good, yada, yada, yada, and we won." Ask the catcher, and you'd get a lucid analysis.

If I had my choice, Trembley would've had the conversation with Bedard and that would have been the end of it. I doubt any doomsday scenario develops, though. If Bedard wants to go elsewhere, he'll do it regardless of this exchange.

Trembley had to tell the media about the conversation because this whole issue involved them and Bedard. They (media) were the ones who lodged the complaint in the first place. Erik stiffed them, not the other way around.

Good for Trembley. The inmates have been running the asylum around here for too long. The players, despite a loooooong record of pathetic play here, have developed an attitude of entitlement.

Good for Trembley for taking back control of this bunch of malcontents and divas.

The FIRST step to respectability is to restore order in the clubhouse and on the bench. Players HAVE to realize: despite the size of the paychecks- the manager is the boss, like it or not. You get along and do as you are told or else you will either ride the pine or get a ticket out of town.

Like others have said- if Bedard is "offended" at being lectured or being told what is expected of him as an employee of the Orioles (horrors- $3.4 million salary AND you get to tell me what to do) and it is going to be a reason to not re-sign- good riddance.

Tony-OH you might as well give up. Your comments were truthful and direct about our big ego pitcher. The fan club (here we go again....) thinks he can do no wrong.

Thanks Tony for telling the apologists the truth

Can't you make your point without taking potshots at the people who have "defend" Bedard?

Why would someone with manners and any etiquette defend these actions? Does anybody out there teach their children this type of behavior?

One thing that hasn't been pointed out in this thread is the following quote

[bedard] is real shy. He's just a real private person," Trembley said. "He competes like the dickens. He doesn't understand the nuances, that [the media] can help him. I think he understands that a little clearer today."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes29jun29,0,3735851.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

This shows is was more of a teaching and trying to help him understand the role he needs to have with the media.

This is a lot different from "lecturing" Bedard, which is what Roch had said in his blog. Which is probably a case in point showing why Bedard doesn't like talking to the media. You say something and it gets paraphrased or spun in a way you hadn't intended. I'm sure Trembley didn't "lecture" Bedard and didn't tell the media he did, but that's how Roch reported it.

I'm willing to bet that whatever it was Gibbons said about infield practice has been spun in a way that makes it look worse than what he intended to say. I can think of many, many other examples.

The press is well-intentioned, but not always that careful. I know this from reading their reports of cases I've worked on. I even got misquoted (or partially quoted) in a story the Sun did about the Hangout!

EDIT: I don't think it was Minnesota actually, anyone else remember the interview?

I remember this. I believe it was a MASN "Wired Wednesday." And it particularly stuck in my memory because I was having a hard time reconciling this funny and articulate guy with one who "stiffs" the press and is uncomfortable in front of the camera. :confused:

Witchy

Archived