O's pen may perform like league leaders in 2nd half

wildcard

The current combined ERA of Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, Hart, Castro and Bleier is 2.62.   The Indians pen currently leads the majors with a 2.75 ERA.    The return on Britton should help the O's pen.    So  I don't think it would be a surprise if the O's lead the league in ERA for relievers in the 2nd half if everyone stays healthy.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

The current combined ERA of Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, Hart, Castro and Bleier is 2.62.   The Indians pen currently leads the majors with a 2.75 ERA.    The return on Britton should help the O's pen.    So  I don't think it would be a surprise if the O's lead the league in ERA for relievers in the 2nd half if everyone stays healthy.

If only the starters could give a consistent six innings.

3 hours ago, pastorfan said:

If only the starters could give a consistent six innings.

I don't think it will take the starters going 6 innings.  Now that we're at full strength I think you're going to see Buck pull guys in the 5th and 6th innings and use Givens, O'day, Bleier and Hart to get us out of jams.  

We need to be realistic.  Win the games that we are tied or have leads after 4+.  Sounds funny but that's what it's going to take.  A guy like Castro is going to have to step up.  

We need the offense to score runs and not be in the bottom 3rd of the AL in the 2nd half.  

Get an early lead.  Hope the SP can go 5, then try and lock it down with the pen.  It might even take an 8 man pen and having a guy like Scott up too.  

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't think it will take the starters going 6 innings.  Now that we're at full strength I think you're going to see Buck pull guys in the 5th and 6th innings and use Givens, O'day, Bleier and Hart to get us out of jams.  

We need to be realistic.  Win the games that we are tied or have leads after 4+.  Sounds funny but that's what it's going to take.  A guy like Castro is going to have to step up.  

We need the offense to score runs and not be in the bottom 3rd of the AL in the 2nd half.  

Get an early lead.  Hope the SP can go 5, then try and lock it down with the pen.  It might even take an 8 man pen and having a guy like Scott up too.  

In such a scenario, the bullpen will be burnt out by September. Let us not forget how Brach was far less effective in the second half last year. 

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

In such a scenario, the bullpen will be burnt out by September. Let us not forget how Brach was far less effective in the second half last year. 

That's very likely. That's why Castro has to step up and be "Givens-esque."  Everyone else has to pitch their best.  Then guys like Wright, Scott and Liranzo have to produce if needed. It's a lot. 

I don't see us making a move for a reliever before the July deadline, but if we're in it we could make a trade for a vet reliever in August. Then you get expanded rosters to help out. 

It's a long shot but we've won this way since 2012. Bullpen and homers. 

Buck will have to use Givens, Brach, and maybe some others less. Givens has already thrown 44 innings. Blier has helped and Castro is looking good. DD and the O's are open to criticism in a lot of areas, but he/they are pretty good at building a bullpen. Too bad the middle relievers/AAAA guys have had to pitch so much. 

22 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's very likely. That's why Castro has to step up and be "Givens-esque."  Everyone else has to pitch their best.  Then guys like Wright, Scott and Liranzo have to produce if needed. It's a lot. 

I don't see us making a move for a reliever before the July deadline, but if we're in it we could make a trade for a vet reliever in August. Then you get expanded rosters to help out. 

It's a long shot but we've won this way since 2012. Bullpen and homers. 

And this means the FO will be buyers and not sellers. 

Archived