How the Juiced Ball Killed the Orioles

Camden_yardbird

Good discussion all :cool:

I think a number of points made are correct.  I definitely agree with COC's assertion about less "should be warning track" balls being hit by the Orioles, the exact point I made in another thread regarding salary allocation.

But ultimately it's the starting pitching, and though the comment about major league vs minor league balls is interesting... the biggest perpetrators have squarely been in the majors.  Looking at Gausman, Tillman, Miley, Jimenez.  The last three we know about:  injury, bad stuff, and inconsistency.  The first -- well maybe he hasn't figured out how to pitch with the new ball, Idunno.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

There have been only 4 balls hit into the club level in the 25 year history at Camden Yards.

Two of those four have come this season.

Hmmm... maybe we'll finally see the warehouse hit during a regular season game?

The one area this helps the O's is with Britton. Whether the ball is juiced or not, many players/teams believe it is and there is one guy who gives up far fewer fly balls than anyone else. I hope Dan presents him with these considerations as the trade deadline nears. He's at 27 innings without allowing an extra base hit? Close. 3 full games. An incredible statistic.

With the teams shifting as they do, I wonder under what scenario a team with Britton would bring their OFers in. 

1 hour ago, fansince1988 said:

There have been only 4 balls hit into the club level in the 25 year history at Camden Yards.

Two of those four have come this season.

Joey Gallo going warehouse next week.

Maybe not in a game, but at least in batting practice.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

We are hitting fewer homers than we were before they juiced the baseball.    That can't be blamed on juicing the baseball.    The other things you say make some sense, but our pitchers are doing a lousy job of HR suppression.      Last year we outhomered opponents 253-183; this year we are on pace to be outhomered 226-237.    So, we're on pace to be down 27 (-11%) homers while our opponents are on pace to be up 54 (+30%).    The league as a whole is +6%.      

We are hitting fewer HR because Manny, CD and Trumbo are having poor first halves.

When the number of homers went through the roof 20 years ago, everyone searched for the cause. We all ignored the actual reason, which was rampant steroid use. Are we making the same mistake again? Will we find out 10 years from now that some new drug became available in 2017?

6 minutes ago, Why Not? said:

When the number of homers went through the roof 20 years ago, everyone searched for the cause. We all ignored the actual reason, which was rampant steroid use. Are we making the same mistake again? Will we find out 10 years from now that some new drug became available in 2017?

That may have been a reason it was most certainly not the only reason.

The easiest way for the league to change offense is to change the ball.

Anyway this is closer to what happened in 1987.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That may have been a reason it was most certainly not the only reason.

The easiest way for the league to change offense is to change the ball.

Anyway this is closer to what happened in 1987.

One of my biggest gripes about the Steroid Era is how it allowed MLB to sweep other changes under the rug.

14 hours ago, Why Not? said:

It's funny you say that.  My wife was just watching an episode of "Darma and Greg" from that time period and Greg has the line "Players are hitting home runs in record numbers, is the ball juiced, let me know?"

Archived