Chance Sisco 2018 Starting Catcher

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

According to Roch at masnsports.com, Chance Sisco will be the 2018 starting catcher. I am a little surprised by this. I thought the Orioles would bring back Wellington and ease Chance into the role. Do you think the Orioles are unhappy with Beef? Thoughts?

He was signed as a stopgap and he's no longer needed, or, won't be.

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

According to Roch at masnsports.com, Chance Sisco will be the 2018 starting catcher. I am a little surprised by this. I thought the Orioles would bring back Wellington and ease Chance into the role. Do you think the Orioles are unhappy with Beef? Thoughts?

Castillo's option for next year is a player option, not a team option.  The Orioles don't control him.  From what I've read, the prevailing thought is that he won't exercise his option and, instead, will try his luck in free agency.

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Well, given that he's one of the guys they're reportedly shopping, I think it's safe to say that, no, they're not super happy with what they've got. .723 OPS. Average, at best, work behind the plate. I'm guessing they feel a combo of Sisco/Joseph can produce just as well as Castillo/Joseph, for a tiny fraction of the price.

Joseph should be the starting catcher next year. His CERA is 4.36.

Castillo needs to be traded before the end of the year.  He should not be on the O's next year.  His CERA is 6.03.

Sisco is probably called up in September but will probably not be on the team next year because he can't control the running game.  60 out of 74 steals attempt have been successful again him this year.   He spends next year trying to improve that at AAA.

Austin Wynns should be the backup catcher next year. He is a good defensive catcher and has thrown out 46% of runners this year.   He also has an excellent OBP.  He is currently 289/383/415/789 at AA.  He is 26 years old.

There is no reason not to give Sisco an extended look in September when rosters expand.  See how his defense plays at the major league level.  The bat is ready.  If the d is not yet passable than you know he will need some additional time in Norfolk in 2018 but at least that will allowed us to plan how to go about our offseason. 

35 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

Does anyone know if the O's have tried Cisco out at 3B?  Just curious.

He's a converted shortstop from High School, but hasn't played anywhere else with the Orioles other than catcher.

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

No.  He's a catcher. 

And Mancini was first baseman. Givens was a shortstop. Sometimes, things happen.

If Beef is traded before the deadline, I really am curious what they decide to do.

Joseph starting, then what? Do they feel comfortable with bringing Sisco up now because of his bat, or do they bring up Pena and then let Sisco come up in September? If Sisco comes up now, do they bring up a 3rd one in September (Pena, Wynns, Perez?)

You all know I'm a big fan of Wynns. But, I'm also realistic with the Orioles brass love affair with Sisco. Then again, Buck does prefer "defense first" players, which Sisco won't provide, compared to Wynns.

Pena and Perez are depth in the system, so would the Orioles call one of them up in place of 2 that they could try for the future?

Could Sisco also be on the trade block for the right price?

I'm in the camp that believes that there is no good reason to bring up Chance Sisco, or Austin Hays, or any other "real" prospect now.  By waiting a few weeks into the '18 season, you essentially get seven years of team control instead of six.  That is huge.  You also have to put that player on the 40 man roster, requiring another player's release.  Finally, if you have to start them in AAA next season, for any reason, you have to burn an option.  That's three good reasons not to bring up either of those players this year.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm in the camp that believes that there is no good reason to bring up Chance Sisco, or Austin Hays, or any other "real" prospect now.  By waiting a few weeks into the '18 season, you essentially get seven years of team control instead of six.  That is huge.  You also have to put that player on the 40 man roster, requiring another player's release.  Finally, if you have to start them in AAA next season, for any reason, you have to burn an option.  That's three good reasons not to bring up either of those players this year.

What do you think Hays would do for attendance? Speedy player with power.  Fans made want to come to the park to see him.

Archived