Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I like Profar, but he's only OPS'ing .799 in the PCL as a 24 year old.  I do like the BA-OBP separation.  He's hitting for about as much power as Chance Sisco.  Sisco (much alligned here) is probably a better bat and two years younger just for some perspective. 

If the Rangers are buying I imagine he'll be on the block for a major leaguer. Prospect for prospect deals rarely happen. 

Are the Rangers really buying? Also Profar is blocked and as you mentioned not t really lighting the world on fire at AAA. He's blocked at the majors at both 2nd and SS. Which probably isn't helping his morale/motivation. A change of scenery probably would help him.

He's not really considered a prospect any longer and has yet to hit at the majors.

54 minutes ago, weams said:

I never root for the team to lose. 

I am not rooting for them to lose. I being realistic that's nearly impossible for the O's to make it to  a WC game. Selling is the best route for DD to take. 

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I am not rooting for them to lose. I being realistic that's nearly impossible for the O's to make it to  a WC game. Selling is the best route for DD to take. 

Hopefully the Orioles are realistic about where they actually are. I small and not sustainable hot streak isn't enough to turn them into anything more than pretenders.

2 hours ago, Mayor McCheese said:

The Orioles have the top position player (that should be available) and also 2-3 of the top relievers on the market.... I sure hope we can get some kind of top prospect(s) in return for these guys, if we do nothing then you can just tell there is a disconnect at the FO level.  It's time to move on and start rebuilding

Everyone needs to go ahead and accept that Manny Machado is not being traded this season. Maybe in the offseason. Maybe next year. It is not, under any circumstances, happening before July 31, 2017.

42 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Are the Rangers really buying? Also Profar is blocked and as you mentioned not t really lighting the world on fire at AAA. He's blocked at the majors at both 2nd and SS. Which probably isn't helping his morale/motivation. A change of scenery probably would help him.

He's not really considered a prospect any longer and has yet to hit at the majors.

https://nolanwritin.com/2017/07/09/texas-rangers-team-takes-game-two-series-angels/

"If the Rangers still believe they can grab a Wildcard spot then moving Profar for bullpen help must happen."

I would do Brach for Profar.  Kind of reminds me of Koji for Chris Davis.  But like that trade, I would want a young pitcher in the return as well.

1 minute ago, Corolla35 said:

https://nolanwritin.com/2017/07/09/texas-rangers-team-takes-game-two-series-angels/

"If the Rangers still believe they can grab a Wildcard spot then moving Profar for bullpen help must happen."

I would do Brach for Profar.  Kind of reminds me of Koji for Chris Davis.  But like that trade, I would want a young pitcher in the return as well.

Profar hasn't shown much aptitude at the plate. I'm not sure I'd throw Brach away for him, given what the relief market is shaking out to be.

1 hour ago, pwhite said:

I hope these last two wins don't convince us not to sell. Starting pitching is still broken.

1 hour ago, weams said:

I never root for the team to lose. 

Last night TOR and OAK blew saves against BOS and TB.  We could've picked up a game on each.  I think DD is going to let us try and give it hell until 7/30, 7/31 and see where we're at.  

The team we're chasing for the WC spot, NYY, just made a pretty big trade and they aren't done.  BOS will do something big.  TB might get some bullpen reinforcements, or they just might call up their young arms.  

Not only are we chasing these 3 teams but they're making moves to get better.  

12 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Profar hasn't shown much aptitude at the plate. I'm not sure I'd throw Brach away for him, given what the relief market is shaking out to be.

Profar for O'day.  Maybe playing beside his LLWS buddy, Schoop, will be the change of scenery he needs.  I can't believe O'day has 2/18 left after this season.  I really thought this was year 3 of his deal.  

With the beatdown TEX is getting from us they will realize they should be sellers.  Lucroy back to Mil?  Darvish to BOS or NYY?  Beltre to BOS?  Gomez to Minn?

20 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Everyone needs to go ahead and accept that Manny Machado is not being traded this season. Maybe in the offseason. Maybe next year. It is not, under any circumstances, happening before July 31, 2017.

I am just curious to the FO decision on that one...  He will have little value if they wait to the offseason and almost no value at next years deadline.  Trading him now would make the most sense if they are going to trade him.

14 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

I don't know if it could be much less like the Andrew Miller trade.

The O's gave up their No. 3 in E-Rod for a powerhouse relief pitcher that they hoped put them over the top. They had the division well in hand.  They were rolling. Miller was just a bonus.

Martinez is a bold move from a team that's in the WC race and is desperate to return to postseason play.

Orioles had a 1 1/2 game lead on July 31, 2014. I wouldn't say they had 

the division well in hand.

30 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

I am just curious to the FO decision on that one...  He will have little value if they wait to the offseason and almost no value at next years deadline.  Trading him now would make the most sense if they are going to trade him.

This is patently incorrect.

Does trading Machado right now net you the most value? Of course. But to say he'll have little value this offseason - with the entirety of 2018 ahead of him - and NO value next July... is just wrong.

Archived