Manny is hitting in July

wildcard

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure BABIP is mostly about luck.  Maybe 75/25.  As for his K rate, he is on pace for 138 K's/162.  In 2015 he had 111, in 2013 he had a K/162 pace of 117, in 2016 it was 124.  Do you really think that number is alarmingly above career norms?

BTW I'm not suggesting he hasn't struggled, just that folks here are taking it way out of proportion.

20 extra K's = 6 fewer hits = 8 to ten points of BA.     Roughly.    

I've watched Manny all year and don't think he's been that unlucky.    His numbers are a fair reflection of how he's played, but he's playing better lately.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

20 extra K's = 6 fewer hits = 8 to ten points of BA.     Roughly.    

I've watched Manny all year and don't think he's been that unlucky.    His numbers are a fair reflection of how he's played, but he's playing better lately.   

Right, eight to 10.  Hardly alarming.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

No. My theory is that although he may have been hitting some high velocity outs, many more of his outs were of the infield pop-up, ground out variety, caused by the same issues that lead to a high K rate.

His FB rate is up but his HR/FB is the same . That means he is hitting more CoC FB. His LD % is down  and his IFF % is up He is striking out more and hitting more GB. He isn't making as consistent solid contact as in the past. Because of his launch angle obession.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

His FB rate is up but his HR/FB is the same . That means he is hitting more CoC FB. His LD % is down  and his IFF % is up He is striking out more and hitting more GB. He isn't making as consistent solid contact as in the past. Because of his launch angle obession.

How does a "launch angle obsession" result in hitting more ground balls?     And has Manny ever mentioned "launch" and "angle" in the same sentence?

Just now, Frobby said:

How does a "launch angle obsession" result in hitting more ground balls?     And has Manny ever mentioned "launch" and "angle" in the same sentence?

It's been a craze this year. His brother in law Alonso is hitting more HR because of It. Manny doesn't have to say anything it's clear from watching him he's swinging under the ball more in order to get more back spin. If he doesn't make square contact it results in more pop ups lazy FB and even GB.     https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/mlb-launch-angles-story/?utm_term=.e357206c4659

Archived