The Wildcard Race

NCRaven

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these crazy late west coast (and 19 inning AL East) games. Of course, I'm a night owl and not complaining, but I'm already sleep deprived.

Finally found a good use of MLB-TV on my iPad, though. It's when I can have a game's live play at the bottom right in a small window of whatever page I happen to be reading. 

13 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Twins have lost 4 out of their last 5 games.

o

Yeah, a few days ago when they were hot, someone posted that the idea that 85 wins would win the wild card was a "pipe dream."    But the nature of these teams is nobody stays hot very long.

29 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Twins have lost 4 out of their last 5 games.

o

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, a few days ago when they were hot, someone posted that the idea that 85 wins would win the wild card was a "pipe dream."  But the nature of these teams is that nobody stays hot very long.

o

Yes.

Plus, much was being made of the Twins having an easy schedule, also. But in baseball, even the bad teams win at least 60 or 65 games, and some of those wins come against good teams.

The Orioles swept the 1st-place Red Sox at their home park in Boston, but split 4 games with the mediocre Blue Jays at home in Baltimore. 

The Orioles won their most recent game in which Chris Tillman started, and lost their most recent game that Dylan Bundy started.

That's why I always say that one should never concede a game before a pitch is thrown, regardless of who the opponent is, and regardless of the pitching matchups ........ because the nature of the game and it's marathon 162-games season makes it one of the least predictable sports in regard to individual, regular-season games.

o

16 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

That's why I always say that one should never concede a game before a pitch is thrown, regardless of who the opponent is, and regardless of the pitching matchups ........ because the nature of the game and it's marathon 162-games season makes it one of the least predictable sports in regard to individual, regular-season games.

o

I take that a step farther and never concede until the teams walk off the field.

How many times have we seen overreactive posters in the game thread announce "game over" in the GT at the sight of our pitcher throwing a ball outside the zone, only for us to win handily?

o

(SEPTEMBER 6th)

MINNESOTA T WINS

Brian Dozier - 2B

Jorge Polanco - SS

Byron Buxton - CF

Eduardo Escobar - 3B

Robbie Grossman - DH

Kennys Vargas - 1B

Niko Goodrum - RF

Chris Gimenez - C

Ehire Adrianza - LF

Aaron Allan Slegers - P )) (0-0, 2.84 ERA)

TAMPA BAY DEVIL R AYS

Kevin Kiermaier - CF

Corey Dickerson - DH

Evan Longoria - 3B

Lucas Duda - 1B

Steven Souza, Jr. - RF

Brad Miller - 2B

Adeiny Hechavarria - SS

Mallex Smith - LF

Jesus Sucre - C

Blake Ashton Snell - P )) (3-6, 4.02 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

The Twins have a very easy schedule down the stretch but the Angels have a brutal schedule down the stretch.  6 vs Mariners, 6 vs Astros, 3 vs the Indians, 3 vs Rangers and 4 vs White Sox.  The Indians are hot which may help us down the stretch by putting pressure on the Astros to not rest their starters for home field advantage.  A month ago I thought that they would coast into the home field but now they have to keep playing well or may lose it.

Archived