Santander

OriolesMagic83

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not intentional.  Santander wouldn’t have been called up at all if Stewart hadn’t hurt his ankle.   He wasn’t doing that great at Norfolk.   But they needed him to replace Stewart, and he’s capitalized on that opportunity so far.  

I think it likely was unintentional but it is a little odd that Stevie Wilkerson got the call over him in April when they needed an extra outfielder.

Regardless, worth noting that he won't accrue a full year.

43 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 121st in the majors in OPS in July (min 15 PAs).  It's nice to be in the top half of the league in hitting for three weeks.

He's got a 119 OPS+ for the season.  By definition, that's above average.  164 plate appearances.  He may slide back, but it's a decent sample size and gives us some legitimate hope.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

He's got a 119 OPS+ for the season.  By definition, that's above average.  164 plate appearances.  He may slide back, but it's a decent sample size and gives us some legitimate hope.  

So this is going to come off as overly negative, and I'm trying not to be.  It's far better that he has a 119 than a 80 or something.  But in 209 PAs in Norfolk he put up a .726, this year.  In winter ball this past offseason he had a .748, and was out-hit by several unimpressive teammates.  Last year in Bowie he had a .695.  His career mark at AAA is .702.  

I hope this 119 is a sign of things to come, I really do.  But I'm going to need some more before I jump on this train.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So this is going to come off as overly negative, and I'm trying not to be.  It's far better that he has a 119 than a 80 or something.  But in 209 PAs in Norfolk he put up a .726, this year.  In winter ball this past offseason he had a .748, and was out-hit by several unimpressive teammates.  Last year in Bowie he had a .695.  His career mark at AAA is .702.  

I hope this 119 is a sign of things to come, I really do.  But I'm going to need some more before I jump on this train.

A agree completely with this! 164 plate appearances is still a small sample size. I'm anticipating a Smith Jr. type regression in the near future. If he can sustain through the end of the year, however, I'll be more inclined to believe in Santander as a potential piece for the future.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 121st in the majors in OPS in July (min 15 PAs).  It's nice to be in the top half of the league in hitting for three weeks.

Why only 15 PAs?  Why not compare him with the standard 3.1 PA/G that it takes for the Batting Title?

You’re the one that taught me about SSS. 15 PAs is SSS. I’m not saying Santander is an AS,  but he could finally be healthy, and putting things together. 

I think it was Jon Shepard who said,”Average is good.”

Santander is at LEAST average overall and he may improving as he gets more comfortable.

I’m very happy with him. The first Rule 5 guy in years for whom we don’t have to make excuses.  Nice to get one right.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think it was Jon Shepard who said,”Average is good.”

Santander is at LEAST average overall and he may improving as he gets more comfortable.

I’m very happy with him. The first Rule 5 guy in years for whom we don’t have to make excuses.  Nice to get one right.

Did you not read Drungo's post?

He has a history of not being average.

This hot streak, while nice, does not suddenly make him at least average.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why only 15 PAs?  Why not compare him with the standard 3.1 PA/G that it takes for the Batting Title?

You’re the one that taught me about SSS. 15 PAs is SSS. I’m not saying Santander is an AS,  but he could finally be healthy, and putting things together. 

He used 15 PA because you used 15 games.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you not read Drungo's post?

He has a history of not being average.

This hot streak, while nice, does not suddenly make him at least average.

What someone is doing now, good or bad, is more important than what someone has done in the past, good or bad. He is at least average right now, and that’s what matters.

Aren’t you happy that we are interacting again? Now my life is so much happier. 

Still waiting on those flowers, though…

Just now, Philip said:

What someone is doing now, good or bad, is more important than what someone has done in the past, good or bad. He is at least average right now, and that’s what matters.

Aren’t you happy that we are interacting again? Now my life is so much happier. 

Still waiting on those flowers, though…

So if Davis goes 4 for 4 his next start that means more than last season? 

No, just no.  You have to look at the totality.

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wow, that was your takeaway from the post?  That 15 PAs is an insufficient qualifier?  All right, I'll redo.  The O's have played 17 games this month.  3.1 times 17 is 52.7.  We'll round down to 50 PAs, since some teams haven't played 17 games.

Santander is 85th in the majors in OPS in July among the 217 who have 50+ PAs in the month.  That makes him in the top 40% of MLB batters over that period.  That's a nice little hot streak, nearly as impressive as that of Jeimer Candelario, but not really on the level of Mark Canha.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I'll agree that what someone has done in his last, say, 500 PAs is somewhat more important than the 500 preceding that, and the sum of those 1000 PAs are somewhat more important than the 1000 prior to that.

But 150?  That's pretty small.  And 60 or 70 in three weeks?  That's nothing.  OPS takes maybe 500 PAs to stabilize and be reliable.  Contact rate, K rate and line drive rate can be more reliable over samples as small as 150 PAs.

I’m not sold on Santander’s recent results, but I still have more hope for him than a guy like Dwight Smith Jr.    He’s had a pretty chaotic career since we took him in the Rule 5 draft, between his injuries and needing to be in the majors a certain period of time over two seasons.    So, I don’t assign his minor league stats quite the same significance that I would if he had been healthy and followed a traditional development path.    

I will say this (and feel free to cringe):  the guy looks like a ball player.    He’s a physical specimen, and I like his swing.    In any event, he’s done enough this year for long enough that he gets the chance to prove it’s not a fluke.    

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sold on Santander’s recent results, but I still have more hope for him than a guy like Dwight Smith Jr.    He’s had a pretty chaotic career since we took him in the Rule 5 draft, between his injuries and needing to be in the majors a certain period of time over two seasons.    So, I don’t assign his minor league stats quite the same significance that I would if he had been healthy and followed a traditional development path.    

I will say this (and feel free to cringe):  the guy looks like a ball player.    He’s a physical specimen, and I like his swing.    In any event, he’s done enough this year for long enough that he gets the chance to prove it’s not a fluke.    

Exactly - all the way around.  To me, there's a lot of Jonathan Schoop in his toolbox.