Interesting comment by Beckham just now

Frobby

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, foxfield said:

No it doesn't Frank.  As an attorney you know darn well you are reading that into it.  And you most certainly are making too much of it.  I don't even particularly care, but I read nothing of it other than Brady is part of getting him comfortable here.  Why would it be otherwise.  If you honestly think that Brady is the power working deals here, then Dan is a card board cut out.  Why would he stay if that were the case and why would Brady not demand full authority.  I just think people are looking for stuff to make an issue out of and this is on top of the list.  In my opinion of course.

I didn't say what you said I said.   

I think the most likely explanation, as far as an "explanation" is even required, is that DD is the one who made the move, while Brady is the face of the front office to the new player. Perhaps he's the one who welcomed him upon arrival and explained what they saw in him and how they think he fits. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn't say what you said I said.   

Excellent, we agree.  See how dangerous that is?   But there is nothing in what Beckham said to indicate...let's see what did you actually say:  "It seems clear he had some significant involvement in the deal."

24 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Excellent, we agree.  See how dangerous that is?   But there is nothing in what Beckham said to indicate...let's see what did you actually say:  "It seems clear he had some significant involvement in the deal."

To elaborate, I think Brady had some role in negotiating the deal and communicating with the Tampa front office and the player.    That doesn't mean that Brady usurped Duquette, it means that he was given some latitude to deal with the issue.    It could easily have been something like "hey Brady, I'm busy with a full court press on Britton, can you see if we can get the Beckham deal done for prospect X, Y or Z, in that order of preference?"     And to be crystal clear about this, I'm just speculating that it was something like that, based on (1) Beckham's comment, and (2) past reports that Brady had a role in certain other negotiations.    

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't want to make too much of the fact that Brady was mentioned first.     But it seems clear he had some significant involvement in the deal.

I was about to say, I don't think the order is important at all. 

Strikeout rate is really tempering my expectations, but sometimes guys need a change of scenery. 

53 minutes ago, Malike said:

Maybe Brady is responsible for giving up our future Ace and all of the Duq hate is being misplaced. It's as good as any other conspiracy theory in this thread I suppose.

Who gave up Kyle Simon and catcher Gabriel Lino?

51 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Here is one fan that really does not want to see Brady as the next GM.  Just saying. 

Without knowing anything about how he would run a team, I favor young capable guys over the older heads in positions like that because they tend to be more modern/forward thinking. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Who gave up Kyle Simon and catcher Gabriel Lino?

That's cheating!    You are only supposed to mention the guys we give up when they are in the minors that turn out to be decent.   Mentioning Simon or Stephen Tarpley or Ben Rowen or Eddia Gamboa or Ashur Tolliver doesn't help further the narrative that our management is utterly worthless and stupid.   So we simply don't mention them.

Follow the rules!

Just now, SteveA said:

That's cheating!    You are only supposed to mention the guys we give up when they are in the minors that turn out to be decent.   Mentioning Simon or Stephen Tarpley or Ben Rowen or Eddia Gamboa or Ashur Tolliver doesn't help further the narrative that our management is utterly worthless and stupid.   So we simply don't mention them.

Follow the rules!

I'm a bit of a rule breaker by nature. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, SteveA said:

Follow the rules!

I actually think Tarpley may still be a future MLB reliever.  Although, it's been changes the Yankees made after they got him from the Pirates.

Archived