Define a Successful Draft

If Brian Matusz becomes a starting ML pitcher and one other player makes it to the bigs, this draft is a success. I think there's an excellent chance for the first and I like Hoes, as well.

I predict that 95% of the players drafted by the Orioles this year will not become big league players. And, I predict the same for every other team in baseball.

Are you saying the sky isn't really falling? I've gotten the impression that the Warehouse should be imploded today.

It's going to be funny to watch the changes in opinions when Matusz shows up ranked so much higher than Smoak on all the prospect rankings before next season.

IMO .. Success would be drafting for need. The Orioles are loaded in minor league pitching. In a year or 2 we will be losing guys in the rule 5. At the same time we dont have a legit power threat for 1B or a solid hitting SS. If AJ is really our CF of the future why in gods name did we draft 2 more CF's ??? I really think from a need stand point the first 6 picks in this draft are a dud. Even if the first pick ends up being a solid 2 or 3 guy where are we??? Having 7 or 8 guys who can fill the 2,3, & 4 slots in our rotation. I think its absurd to have a plan for how we can trade surplus for other teams minor league hitters. That sounds great but why not draft our own?

well - if it's drafting a bunch of Brian Roberts clones, then we have had one! I wonder if Angelos gave the order to McPhail 'if you're going to trade Brian, then I want 5 more!'

I was really angry before, I'm not going to lie. I wanted some big name talent a la boras players to come in here early and often. However after sitting back and realizing what's happening... I can't really be too too mad. What the Orioles (in my opinion) are doing is stocking up on young pitching. I wouldn't be surprised if we went pitching again next year, too. I've maintained this stance for quite some time now on this board. There's a reason why there aren't young pitchers hitting the free agent market. I understand that players like Longoria, Braun etc. are getting locked up, but there are also players like Tex who hit the free agent market and evetually Holliday, too. You don't get young pitching unless you grow it, and thats what the Orioles are doing. As of right now the Orioles rotation projects very very well. With 3 studs at the top including Arietta, Tillman and Matusz, the last two spots can be fought for by names including Cabrera, Olson, Liz, Bergesen, Hernandez, Spoone etc. With the excess of pitchers, hitters can be had on the free agent market. If thats how Mcphail wants to play the cards, then I'm fine with it. It's tough to argue with anything he's done up until now.

Archived