Edmonds 372

Snider 356

DiMaggio 311

Finley 295

Lynn 266

B. Williams 261

Cameron 261

Jones 245

Adam just passed Torii Hunter, who was at 244.    

That's not even close to the graphic they showed during the game. Here it is...

Mantle 432

Griffey 382

Dimaggio 344

Lynn 266

B. Williams 261

Jones 245

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think most of the criticism he faces here is fair.

I do, too.    Still, you have to give the man his due.   11th all-time in homers by a CF is pretty good (assuming I didn't omit anyone).   Finding that kind of power at a premium position is rare, and perhaps we don't appreciate that enough at times.   

1 minute ago, Natty said:

That's not even close to the graphic they showed during the game. Here it is...

Mantle 432

Griffey 382

Dimaggio 344

Lynn 266

B. Williams 261

Jones 245

Well, I think you are right that they must only have been talking about the AL.    But still, their numbers are off.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By my quick look:

Mays 625

Griffey 542

Mantle 430

Edmonds 372

Snider 356

DiMaggio 311

Finley 295

Lynn 266

B. Williams 261

Cameron 261

Jones 245

Adam just passed Torii Hunter, who was at 244.    

Good chance he gets 300 as a CF

o

SEATTLE MARINERS ANNOUNCERS:

The only center-fielders in Major League history to have hit 25 or more home runs for 7 consecutive seasons are ......

Adam Jones

Willie Mays

Mickey Mantle

Andruw Jones

o

12 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The only center-fielders in Major League history to have hit 25 or more home runs for 7 consecutive seasons are ......

Adam Jones

Willie Mays

Mickey Mantle

Andruw Jones

o

It's nice to see Adam lumped in with those guys, but let's not kid ourselves that he's in the same universe as those players.

Willie Mays: 13 straight seasons with 25+

Andruw Jones: 10 straight 

Mickey Mantle: 9 straight   

Each of those three had at least one 50 HR season during their streak (Mays and Mantle had two) and one 40 HR season (Mays had four and Mantle had two).   

Adam may be able to extend his streak, but even if he does, he's not really at the level of those players.

We live in an era of super analysis when we have access to all kinds of information and data. We can watch every one of Adam Jones' games. That was not the case with Mickey Mantle or Fred Lynn or even Bernie Williams. So, we can find every crack in every player's game, including Jones.  

I think the criticisms of Jones on this board -- his over aggressiveness at the plate and his defense being over-rated -- are totally fair. I don't think those criticisms take away from how key a figure he is on the team. He is a true team leader who is also a very good player. I love the guy and he's put together another very good season this year. It is impressive that he passed Ripken. I mean, you gotta give him his due. And he's going to pass Bernie Williams. C'mon. 

3 hours ago, jtschrei said:

We live in an era of super analysis when we have access to all kinds of information and data. We can watch every one of Adam Jones' games. That was not the case with Mickey Mantle or Fred Lynn or even Bernie Williams. So unlike those players of the past, we can find every crack in every player's game, including Jones.

I think the criticisms of Jones on this board -- his over aggressiveness at the plate and his defense being over-rated -- are totally fair. I don't think those criticisms take away from how key a figure he is on the team. He is a true team leader who is also a very good player. I love the guy and he's put together another very good season this year. It is impressive that he passed Ripken. I mean, you gotta give him his due. And he's going to pass Bernie Williams. C'mon. 

o

I think that this is an excellent observation/point.

o

On 8/29/2017 at 8:38 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Adam Jones

Willie Mays

Mickey Mantle

Andruw Jones

o

On 8/30/2017 at 8:57 AM, Frobby said:

It's nice to see Adam lumped in with those guys, but let's not kid ourselves that he's in the same universe as those players.

Willie Mays: 13 straight seasons with 25+

Andruw Jones: 10 straight 

Mickey Mantle: 9 straight   

Each of those three had at least one 50 HR season during their streak (Mays and Mantle had two) and one 40 HR season (Mays had four and Mantle had two).   

Adam may be able to extend his streak, but even if he does, he's not really at the level of those players.

o

He's still one of only 4 center-fielders to ever hit 25 or more HR's for 7 consecutive seasons, so it's worth noting.

There isn't a 5th center-fielder on that list in the history of MLB, and that's saying something.

o

Archived