Austin Hays

weams

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

I would not say Beckham, Manny and Schoop carried the team in August.    They were all very good (especially Beckham and Manny) but so were Castillo (1.113 OPS), Gentry (1.036), Jones (.940), Smith (.846) and Mancini (.818).    It was a team effort, not 2-3 hot players.

What I'm noticing now is a lack of patience and willingness to pass the baton on to the next guy.    Everyone's pressing.    If they can just relax a bit and things will fall back into place.   

I think it's maybe exhaustion.  Baseball's a fun game for us, and when we were in our 20's and 30's, it was hard to imagine getting tired from playing baseball, but playing it as a profession 7 days a week for more than half the year, it takes a toll - not just physically but mentally.  I think Buck should have rested some of his players more - particularly vets like Jones, Davis, and Trumbo - and it's been showing.     

43 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think it's maybe exhaustion.  Baseball's a fun game for us, and when we were in our 20's and 30's, it was hard to imagine getting tired from playing baseball, but playing it as a profession 7 days a week for more than half the year, it takes a toll - not just physically but mentally.  I think Buck should have rested some of his players more - particularly vets like Jones, Davis, and Trumbo - and it's been showing.     

I can see that point of view -- I've always felt Buck plays his regulars a bit too much.   However, the team has generally played very well in September (Buck's never had a losing Sept./Oct. in Baltimore), so it's hard to say Buck's methods have impeded the team down the stretch in the past, and I'm not sure why this year would be different.    I think sometimes we look for explanations when there really isn't one, other than that there's a lot of random variation in performance over a baseball season and sometimes cold spells occur at the end rather than the beginning or the middle.    It's amazing, though, how you could draw a bright line between August and September this year, as though flipping the calendar somehow contained an injunction to stop hitting.    The same thing happened last year between June and July.    Hopefully the offense snaps out of it.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I can see that point of view -- I've always felt Buck plays his regulars a bit too much.   However, the team has generally played very well in September (Buck's never had a losing Sept./Oct. in Baltimore), so it's hard to say Buck's methods have impeded the team down the stretch in the past, and I'm not sure why this year would be different.    I think sometimes we look for explanations when there really isn't one, other than that there's a lot of random variation in performance over a baseball season and sometimes cold spells occur at the end rather than the beginning or the middle.    It's amazing, though, how you could draw a bright line between August and September this year, as though flipping the calendar somehow contained an injunction to stop hitting.    The same thing happened last year between June and July.    Hopefully the offense snaps out of it.

Or maybe it's that other teams make the same mistakes in over-playing their veterans.     

On 9/13/2017 at 11:37 AM, Frobby said:

We probably won't be mathematically eliminated until the final week of the season.    Its when we can't possibly win as many games as the 2nd WC leader has won already.     Right now it's still mathematically possible for us to win 88 games.    The Twins have won 75, so the "tragic number" is currently 14.    Any combination of Twins wins and Oriole losses adding up to 14 would eliminate us.   Of course, even if the Twins went on a massive losing streak, we'd still need to catch and pass the Angels, Royals, Rangers, Mariners and Rays, all of whom are ahead of us now.    

So, we are not out of it!  Alright! Alright! Alright!!!! ;) 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

You know...stranger things have happened.  Minn is at 29% today....so.  Sure, Im down!

Stranger things have happened than a five way tie?    I don't know about that!     Even if the O's weren't part of it, that's something I'd love to see.    What a circus that would be.

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Mentally tired for some.  Trumbo flounders for a long time.  Then the O's put Pedro and Hays on the roster who could take his at bats.  Then Trumbo starts hitting.

21 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

My estimate that Hays would only get 20 ABs from his callup until the end of the year looks a little high. 

Outfielder Austin Hays could crack the lineup for the final two games (of Yankee series), if not sooner, per Roch.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/09/ynoa-included-in-rotation-for-four-game-series-in-bronx.html