Dan places the blame for losing year squarely on the starters

wildcard

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, osfan83 said:

I like Brady, but I have no reason to believe he would be any better than Mike Flanagan was in that role. If DD departs, give me someone who has done the job before, or was at least a strong assistant GM on a team with a good track record.

I agree.  Brady is nowhere near qualified to be a GM and would be a disaster for this franchise.   Give me Kim Ng.    Or Jason McLeod with the Cubs, or Jared Porter with the Diamondbacks or  J.J. Picollo with the Royals, or Doug Harris with the Nationals, or Matt Arnold with the Brewers.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree.  Brady is nowhere near qualified to be a GM and would be a disaster for this franchise.   Give me Kim Ng.    Or Jason McLeod with the Cubs, or Jared Porter with the Diamondbacks or  J.J. Picollo with the Royals, or Doug Harris with the Nationals, or Matt Arnold with the Brewers.  

"Disaster for the franchise" overstates it a bit. He's worked under Duquette for a while now. You think Brady is the kind of guy who doesn't apply lessons? I have a different opinion and don't think he'd be anywhere near as bad as you make it out.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

"Disaster for the franchise" overstates it a bit. He's worked under Duquette for a while now. You think Brady is the kind of guy who doesn't apply lessons? I have a different opinion and don't think he'd be anywhere near as bad as you make it out.

I think Brady would do a better job than Buck, or Dempsey.

But I'd rather have a wiz kid with an Ivy League diploma.

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

My biggest worry about Brady is whether he could be objective about the players.    He's pretty invested in trying to build players up and help them succeed, and he might have trouble cutting bait.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My biggest worry about Brady is whether he could be objective about the players.    He's pretty invested in trying to build players up and help them succeed, and he might have trouble cutting bait.

I look at it this way.

With Brady Nolan gets a spring training invite.

With Buck Davis gets a seven year contract.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I look at it this way.

With Brady Nolan gets a spring training invite.

With Buck Davis gets a seven year contract.

I am not prepared to lay the Davis signing at Buck's doorstep.    I know Tony has said a few things indicating that that he'd heard things to that effect, but it's all a little too vague and third-hand for me.    For me, Duquette's the GM and if he doesn't think we should sign a player to that kind of deal he should be screaming from the rooftop to keep it from happening.  

If Dan leaves, with his resume, he is likely to get a GM or Presidents job right  away.   If he does that he probably take some guys with him.   Scouts and player development were built by him.   He also takes his industry contacts. The O's GM that comes after Dan might not just have to build a 25 man roster, he might have to build an organization.

That's a tough job for Brady.   Probably need a more experienced GM to avoid  years of losing.

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He has not been a true assistant GM, he has had no front office experience other than his unusual role here, no developmental or scouting or player development experience nor does he have an analytics background.  He has been a favorite since he was a player of the owner which is why he is in his current job which predates both Buck and Duquette.  He has had an unusual and ill defined role which apparently is unique to the Orioles in MLB.

I stand by my opinion that he would be a disaster.  The fact that Angelos is his biggest fan is not a ringing endorsement for me of his skills as a GM. 

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

You make some good points. Could Brady build an organization long term? Do you roll the dice and give him the job or look at someone like Ruben Amaro ( veteran guy who knows his way around the game)? And you have to wonder , too, which Angelos will be making the call, next month or a year from now?

Not only is Buck's and DD's contract up after 2018, but perhaps it's already been decided that 2018 will be PA's last season with any active say in the running of the Orioles.  Pure speculation on my part, but there's a certain sense to it.  One can only hope...

You know, for as much as this is Dan's own doing, the starters really did next-level suck this year. And now they're collectively giving up in September. It was inexcusable for Gausman to go out there and be worse than Ynoa in his last start. Come on, kid, that's weaksauce. Ubaldo, Miley... not competitive in their final starts whatsoever. Hellickson, "hurt", but not competitive in his final start either. These are all guys that should at least give you 5 innings, 4 ER, and they couldn't even manage that. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

You know, for as much as this is Dan's own doing, the starters really did next-level suck this year. And now they're collectively giving up in September. It was inexcusable for Gausman to go out there and be worse than Ynoa in his last start. Come on, kid, that's weaksauce. Ubaldo, Miley... not competitive in their final starts whatsoever. Hellickson, "hurt", but not competitive in his final start either. These are all guys that should at least give you 5 innings, 4 ER, and they couldn't even manage that. 

Miley and Ubaldo might have just cost themselves a major league job in 2018. Hard to see a team signing either and putting them into their rotation.

Archived