Cafardo: Showalter losing the clubhouse

eddie83

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

With your constant reference of the TTTP, I guess you would think that ALL stolen bases are the catchers fault???

Not at all.

But I don't think stolen bases are worth worrying about to the degree that Buck seems to worry about them.

I don't see a need to publicly dress down my young relief pitchers over it for instance.  Or significantly modify a top draft pick's mechanics over it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not at all.

But I don't think stolen bases are worth worrying about to the degree that Buck seems to worry about them.

I don't see a need to publicly dress down my young relief pitchers over it for instance.  Or significantly modify a top draft pick's mechanics over it.

I agree on the Public Dress Down and i would hope that a top drft pick would either be able to correct this flaw or that as a team you would not draft them.  To me, the difference in TTTP is a very slight deviation from the normal delivery and hence correctable.  If it is so hard to learn the slide step then why do most of the pitchers have it and only a few can not seem to master it??  Is this not a flaw in the pitcher that would also lead to the fact that a desired repeatable delivery can not be accomplished.  Why do Bsase stealers not run on Tillman, Bundy but do on Ubaldo, Gausman??  TTTP and the slide step.

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I agree on the Public Dress Down and i would hope that a top drft pick would either be able to correct this flaw or that as a team you would not draft them.  To me, the difference in TTTP is a very slight deviation from the normal delivery and hence correctable.  If it is so hard to learn the slide step then why do most of the pitchers have it and only a few can not seem to master it??  Is this not a flaw in the pitcher that would also lead to the fact that a desired repeatable delivery can not be accomplished.  Why do Bsase stealers not run on Tillman, Bundy but do on Ubaldo, Gausman??  TTTP and the slide step.

And how many runs would you say Gausman's inability to master the electric slide cost the O's?

I'm guessing it isn't very many.

18 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

But is it an actual flaw or an imagined one?  He seemed to do OK in 2009-2010 with the old delivery.

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Who is HE???

High draft pick pitcher, did well in 2009-2010.  Was subject to Buck's TTTP obsession and was subsequently not good.

You need a hint?

Wears sunscreen.

(and no I am not declaring any sort of provable link between the changing of the mechanics and his subsequent struggles.)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

High draft pick pitcher, did well in 2009-2010.  Was subject to Buck's TTTP obsession and was subsequently not good.

You need a hint?

Wears sunscreen.

Brian Matusz in 2010 gave up the stolen base at a 85% Rate

Jake Arrieta gave up the Stolen Base at an unprecedented 92% rate for a starter.

That was worse than Ubaldo Jimeneez this year and Ubaldo stunk up the joint at 82%.

Brian Matusz in 2010 gave up the stolen base at a 85% Rate

Jake Arrieta gave up the Stolen Base at an unprecedented 92% rate for a starter.

That was worse than Ubaldo Jimeneez this year and Ubaldo stunk up the joint at 82%.

And like I asked before, did it damage the team?

Did every opposing team suddenly start running everybody against them?

Were they giving up four bags a game every start?

Jon Lester has thrown to first once in the last how many years?

And like I asked before, did it damage the team?

Did every opposing team suddenly start running everybody against them?

Were they giving up four bags a game every start?

Jon Lester has thrown to first once in the last how many years?

But his TTTP is better than Jake Arrieta which does give the catcher a chance.

Jake had 19 stolen Bases against and 4 Caught (83%)

Lester had 19 Stolen Bases against and 12 Caught (61%)

You explain why the difference in the CS%.

Weren't four of them against Jake given up in one game to Trea Turner and got the catcher fired?

Lester's virtual inability to throw to first allows larger leads for baserunners which is going to counteract any advantage he might have in getting the ball in quickly.

Weren't four of them against Jake given up in one game to Trea Turner and got the catcher fired?

It was actually 7 stolen Bases in one game which ended up in a loss for Jake and when the catcher complained "Publicly" about Jake's lack of TTTP, he (Montereo) was released.

5 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Jake had 19 stolen Bases against and 4 Caught (83%)

Lester had 19 Stolen Bases against and 12 Caught (61%)

You explain why the difference in the CS%.

And it's not just 2017.    Same was true last year.

I don't blame Matusz's downfall on TTTP.    If that's all it was, it wouldn't affect his bases empty performance, which went from .707 OPSA in 2010 to .956 in 2011.   I'm not sure what happened with Matusz, but TTTP was only a small piece of the puzzle.   

Archived