Dan Connolly: Orioles Must Be Willing To Make A Trade

PressBoxOnline

Just now, Frobby said:

Was thinking about this today.    Should’ve sold high.  

If there was a solid offer, absolutely.

I'm not sure how much demand existed.  Right handed DH/1B?  If you and I were smart enough to expect regression so were the other teams.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles will never sell high if they think they are competing for a wild card every single year.

That fallacy is the biggest problem the Orioles have, IMHO.  Because the Orioles think they can compete every single season,  they make a many short term decisions that hurt the future prospects of the team.  The Orioles have no problem signing long term, costly free agents deals and giving up future draft picks.  The Orioles rarely sell high on any of their players.  They keep players too long (like Machado and Britton) when it's plain to see they are going to lose them anyway.  The Orioles are completely willing to trade for short term veterans to help them try to compete, while giving up decent prospects from our farm system.  All of this only makes sense if we have a realistic shot of competing.  No team in baseball, even the Yankees, have a realistically shot at competing every single season.  The well run organizations admit it and plan for the future, while the teams who don't admit pay a price for their short term moves.

Until the Orioles admit they can't compete every single season, it will be very difficult to rebuild this team in the right manner.  At some point, the Orioles front office is going to have to admit the obvious and say we are not competing for the next few seasons.  It's okay to give up the likes of Bundy and Gausman to build for the future.   Selling a player high is good, and much, much better than selling a player a year too late.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What?  You are giving up on Mancini because he is going through a rough patch?   I would not trade young, controllable, good players.  That is what the O's are going to be trying to acquire.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If there was a solid offer, absolutely.

I'm not sure how much demand existed.  Right handed DH/1B?  If you and I were smart enough to expect regression so were the other teams.

CJ Cron was traded for a PTBNL.He is two years older but stats are not that much different.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What?  You are giving up on Mancini because he is going through a rough patch?   I would not trade young, controllable, good players.  That is what the O's are going to be trying to acquire.

First, since I suggested this last offseason, it has nothing to do with abandoning Mancini after a tough patch.  It had to do with the fact that we have lots of outfielders percolating up through the system, Mancini not being a very good defensive outfielder, Davis blocking him at 1B, and the fact that we had needs at other spots.   I even said I expected Mancini to be a .775ish OPS guy going forward, so his current .654 has nothing to do with it.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First, since I suggested this last offseason, it has nothing to do with abandoning Mancini after a tough patch.  It had to do with the fact that we have lots of outfielders percolating up through the system, Mancini not being a very good defensive outfielder, Davis blocking him at 1B, and the fact that we had needs at other spots.   I even said I expected Mancini to be a .775ish OPS guy going forward, so his current .654 has nothing to do with it.    

Hopefully Mancini can rebound and it's just a sophomore slump.  I suspect Davis is gone after this year barring a miraculous rebound and Mancini/Trumbo is playing 1B in 2019.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hopefully Mancini can rebound and it's just a sophomore slump.  I suspect Davis is gone after this year barring a miraculous rebound and Mancini/Trumbo is playing 1B in 2019.

I agree that Davis’ further deterioration potentially has opened 1B up for Mancini.   But only if the Orioles act rationally.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I expect Davis to be back and excited about working with a new hitting coach in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect Davis to be back and excited about working with a new hitting coach in 2019.

In fact they can "work" over the long winter, going oppo, developing his "eye" to bolster OBP and revving up his "change-up speed" bat.  ⚾

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah probably this, but I could also see a new manager telling Brady they want no part of Chris Davis.  Also Davis has to actually work with the new hitting coach and not lie about it.  

Mancini needs to be your first baseman, not trade bait.  And that's the same now as it was last October.  Davis needs to not be in the lineup, and Trumbo should be nothing more than the DH.

Archived