Will Mark Trumbo Be Back With Orioles In 2018?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Understatement of the offseason

They would have to eat 90% of his salary, and get nothing back but a C level prospect, and he can't go to a National League team because he has huge negative defensive value.

There is no way you eat 90% ever! There is no way the Orioles would do it. Trumbo had an unusual slow start last season. If you want to move him you let him start hot which is very likely imo and then trade him in June. Much of his negative value can be attributed to the Orioles hiding him in the outfield. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There is no way you eat 90% ever! There is no way the Orioles would do it. Trumbo had an unusual slow start last season. If you want to move him you let him start hot which is very likely imo and then trade him in June. Much of his negative value can be attributed to the Orioles hiding him in the outfield

Pretty sure a DH with an 83 OPS+ is generating substantial negative value.

He only played 31 games (249 innings) in the outfield last year.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:02 AM, PressBoxOnline said:

With $26 million left on the remaining two years of his contract, Mark Trumbo surely would be difficult to move, and the Orioles might have to eat some of the money. But should they try to trade him for a starting pitcher?

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/10/26/will-mark-trumbo-be-back-with-the-orioles-in-2018

Of course they should try to trade him for a starting pitcher.  Good luck and everything, but is anyone disputing the benefit if they could pull it off?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure a DH with an 83 OPS+ is generating substantial negative value.

He only played 31 games (249 innings) in the outfield last year.

Agreed.    That was still enough time for him to do some damage out there, but most of his negative value came from having a poor year with the bat.   

There seem to be an awful lot of people assuming that 2017 is his new offensive norm, however.    That’s no more valid than expecting 2016 to be his norm.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.    That was still enough time for him to do some damage out there, but most of his negative value came from having a poor year with the bat.   

There seem to be an awful lot of people assuming that 2017 is his new offensive norm, however.    That’s no more valid than expecting 2016 to be his norm.    

I guess my point is that I would expect a faster start based on his history. If he  has 15 + homers by mid June and is batting .260 + I think his value would ge there based on the contract 

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's a bit more valid.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Of course they should try to trade him for a starting pitcher.  Good luck and everything, but is anyone disputing the benefit if they could pull it off?

No, but I am disputing the ridiculousness of the article. The author might as well have written a what if we cured cancer, ended world hunger, and stopped global warming editorial.

#lazyreporting

There is probably a match out there, but it's most likely an overpaid starting pitcher who is more likely than not to fail here. 

I'm fine with doing that because he is a mediocre bat clogging the DH position  but also okay with taking the chance that he bounces back and can be moved at the deadline.  He is redundant on the 2018 roster but will have no place at all in 2019 when more of our young outfielders graduate to the majors and Mancini is moved to DH. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Your second graf is dead on. All overachievers are due to regress, while all underachievers have found their new norm. And I'm sure this who held serve are "only getting older."

Archived