Will Mark Trumbo Be Back With Orioles In 2018?

PressBoxOnline

13 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I am in the group that believes Trumbo is not yet on the steep decline but had an offyear in 2017 and will be improved in 2018.  But he is not tradeable in this offseason.  

Mark seems to be a very hard worker and hopefully will get back to doing more of what he does successfully. 

He doesn't need to be in steep decline if you think his 2016 was also an outlier.

Just regular decline from his career numbers is bad enough.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He doesn't need to be in steep decline if you think his 2016 was also an outlier.

Just regular decline from his career numbers is bad enough.

Could be right.  But I think somewhere in between 2016 and 2017 is likelier.  At least for the one season. 

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Could be right.  But I think somewhere in between 2016 and 2017 is likelier.  At least for the one season. 

I think the upside for Trumbo is .260 avg and 30 or more home runs.  I don't see 2016 happening again.  My fear is we see a slightly improved 2017 version.  

With the outfield talent the O's are developing, Buck needs to start benching Trumbo if he continues to struggle.  

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If that happens then is Pedro the O's DH?

I don't think so. I think the trading of Trumbo would be the moving of Mancini to DH. I am a big fan of Mancini, but he will never be more than an average at best defensive OFer. If the Orioles want to compete, they will have to field a much better team defensively than we saw last year. My moves would be to shift Jones to RF where I think he would immediately be a plus defender. Mullins in CF? Maybe. Maybe they have to get a CFer that can play defense first. Jarrod Dyson is available and he is an excellent defensive CFer with blistering speed. He cant hit LH pitching at all, and he isn't a great hitter vs. RH pitching. A sraight platoon with Hayes? Could be. But this team needs improved defense and pitching. Earl Weavers old strategy of Pitching, defense and the 3 run HR.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

There are a lot of teams looking for a 1B. CLE, TB, TEX, LAA, KC, COL, BOS, SEA, METS. I could see him going with some cash The more cash the better the prospect.

You really think some team would actually trade for Trumbo? That would be nice. Hope you are right Gordo. 

13 hours ago, El Gordo said:

There are a lot of teams looking for a 1B. CLE, TB, TEX, LAA, KC, COL, BOS, SEA, METS. I could see him going with some cash The more cash the better the prospect.

A couple of these teams are not looking for a 1B.  Ian Desmond I assume will be the 1B in Colroado.  Dominic Smith I assume will get a chance with the Mets.

A few of these other teams may stick with what they have.  The Angels have Cron, Pujuls and Valbuena between 1b and DH.  The Red Sox have Hanley who could  play 1B. The Rangers could make Gallo the 1B and Calhoun the DH.

Free agents include 

Yonder Alonso 28 hrs 866 ops strong fielder
Lucas Duda 30 hrs 818 ops
Eric Hosmer 25 hrs 882 ops strong fielder
Mitch Moreland 22 hrs 769 ops strong fielder
Logan Morrison 38 hrs 868 ops
Mike Napoli 29 hrs 713 ops

Mark Reynolds 30 hrs 839 ops
Carlos Santana 23 hrs 818 ops

Then you have guys like Tommy Joseph who is cheap, young and available.  He hit 22 hrs with 721 ops.  A small market team could acquire someone like our old friend Christian Walker for next to nothing and give him a chance based on his big year in AAA.  Finally a team could have a very effective cheap platoon with someone like Danny Valencia and Pedro Alvarez. 

It is definitely a buyers market for 1st basemen.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:08 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the upside for Trumbo is .260 avg and 30 or more home runs.  I don't see 2016 happening again.  My fear is we see a slightly improved 2017 version.  

With the outfield talent the O's are developing, Buck needs to start benching Trumbo if he continues to struggle.  

Now you know Buck won't bench one of his boys. I think Buck had a big hand in the Trumbo deal. Just like he did in the CD deal. I like Buck. But these kinds of deals need to stop. DD, Buck and Angelos have screwed the O's future to hell and back. IMO 

23 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Of course. His career ave. numbers are fine for a decent 1B, which he is.

Maybe if a team has a midseason injury to a 1B. I dont think Duquette will shop Trumbo at winter meetings because I dont think a team will ask for him. If Trumbo is traded, that will be great. 

Archived