Orioles extend offers to bring back coaching staff

Redskins Rick

6 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Have you noticed that McDowell, on his mound visits,  virtually never gives the pitcher the encouraging pat on the back or makes some other supportive act of physical touch?  To my recollection,  such actions are  de rigueur for other pitching coaches when visiting the mound. 

In regards to pitching coaches and physical touch, I'm just glad Dave Wallace is gone, the way he put his hands on pitcher's thighs in the dugout when talking to them bordered on creepy IMO.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Have you noticed that McDowell, on his mound visits,  virtually never gives the pitcher the encouraging pat on the back or makes some other supportive act of physical touch?  To my recollection,  such actions are  de rigueur for other pitching coaches when visiting the mound. 

Hit the nail on the head. The reason our SP sucked was because they did't get enough pats on the back.

23 minutes ago, AZRon said:

No pat on the back.

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Do you suspect that this is a significant contributor to us having the worst starting rotation in team history?

Significant? I have no idea and, apparently, some unidentified 2017 O's pitchers had no issue with his style.

But, when there are 29 other pitching coaches outperforming you in starter ERA, you may wish to examine all aspects of your motivational approach.

15 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Hit the nail on the head. The reason our SP sucked was because they did't get enough pats on the back.

One can always depend on El Gordo to mischaracterize someone else's post while providing positive encouragement :rolleyes:

THE pitching coaches never threw a pitch. The reason the Orioles had the worst ERA was because they had really shitty pitchers.  Day in and day out even the ones we thought were good were actually hopeless and sucky.  No coach exists who can change that.  New pitching staff is needed.

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

THE pitching coaches never threw a pitch. The reason the Orioles had the worst ERA was because they had really shitty pitchers.  Day in and day out even the ones we thought were good were actually hopeless and sucky.  No coach exists who can change that.  New pitching staff is needed.

How does one measure the overall performance of a pitching  coach?  If a pitching "coach" has no impact on the performance of the starting pitchers, why have a pitching "coach"?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

McDowell had a lot of success in Atlanta, so I’m fine with giving him the benefit of the doubt for one more season.    

Here's a fairly favorable review of McDowell's tenure with the Braves:
https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/1/9/13308704/atlanta-braves-roger-mcdowell-success-failures

It's an apologetic attempt to rate pitching coach performance and suggests that McDowell was best at getting optimum performance from veteran pitchers.

As a reminder, Roger McDowell replaced Leo Mazzone at Atlanta in 2006.  The O's fired Mazzone at the conclusion of the 2007 season after he had served 2 years of his 3 year contract.

We also obtained Wallace and Chiti from the Braves for the 2014 season. That tandem lasted for the amazing length of 3 years.

Perhaps, it's time to find another source for our "pitching coaches".

19 hours ago, Aglets said:

Do you suspect that this is a significant contributor to us having the worst starting rotation in team history?

So the pitching coach is now responsible for injuries.

I suspect it was more to do with injuries and missing Matt Wieters, but heck, thats just an opinion.

If he was truly a joke, Buck would have replaced him.

Archived